Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Chloe and Harry walked down the stairs, thinking of nice things they could say to possibly lighten Mr. Dursley's mood, which seemed to always be sour whenever he came to pick Harry up, which didn't surprise Chloe. If they truly hated Harry so much then there was a good chance they wouldn't be very happy to get him back.

"Hurry up, boy! I'm not going to wait all day!" the grumpy old troll known as Mr. Dursley shouted as Harry and Chloe made their way down stairs. Once they had made it to the bottom of the staircase, Chloe looked at Mr.Dursley and cleared her throat.

"Mr. Dursley, sir, I have heard that it is your son, Dudley's, birthday today, am I correct?" Chloe asked ever so sweetly. She knew that if she said the right things to the grumpy old elf, Mr. Dursley would actually be very kind to her. The man looked down at her, his emotions already going from upset to pleasant as he listened to the young girl speak.

"Why yes it is." he said, a small grin beneath his bushy mustache.

"Well, I was wondering if it would be a good idea for Harry to stay with me and my aunt Martha for the night, that way he wouldn't be a bother to you while celebrating your son's special day. Oh, and by the way, I have a present for Dudley." Chloe said, pulling a small box out of her pocket. It was wrapped in bright blue wrapping paper, a red ribbon tied around it. Mr.Dursley smiled and gently took the box from Chloe, a huge smile on his face.

"Well, I suppose it would be alright for the young chap to stay. Have him home whenever you'd like."  Mr. Dursley said, and then walked out the door as if he hadn't even been present. Harry and Chloe looked at each other in shock, as if they couldn't believe their plan had actually worked.

"Did that just?...." Chloe asked, unsure if they had both just been imagining things. Harry smiled and nodded.

"I think your plan actually worked!" Harry said and began to cheer. Chloe and Harry both shouted and danced around for joy.

"What on Earth is going on in here?" Aunt Martha asked. She was wearing her apron over a pink t-shirt and blue jeans, a spatula in her hand. She must've been cooking dinner before she had entered the room.

"Oh nothing. Harry and I are going to hang out upstairs." Chloe said and began to drag Harry back up the spiral staircase. Once they were back in Chloe's room, Harry asked a question that had been bugging him ever since Chloe had given Mr. Dursley Dudley's present.

"What exactly was in that box?" he asked her. She giggled.

"A dead toad I found in my backyard." she said, trying to keep her laughter contained. They looked at each other....then both burst out laughing, imagining the look on Dudley's face once he opened the little package. Chloe knew that she was going to be in a heap of trouble when her aunt found out, but she didn't care.

"Speaking of birthdays, what do you want for yours?" Chloe asked Harry. He quickly looked over at her from his spot as he sat in Chloe's desk chair.

"You don't have to get me anything." he said quickly. Chloe just chuckled and rolled her eyes.

"Maybe my aunt will help me throw you a surprise birthday party." she said, excitement in her voice. Harry just smiled.

"You know it can't be a surprise if you tell me about it." he declared.

"You could act surprised."

"Good point."

"So honestly, what would you want for your birthday?" she asked Harry again. He thought for a second.

"I honestly have no clue. I don't really want anything." he said, staring up at the ceiling. Chloe watched him as he did nothing, then a mischievous idea popped into her mind. She slowly picked up one of her stuffed teddy bears, trying not to draw attention to herself as Harry continued to gaze at the ceiling, and threw it at him. It hit him in the face.

"Hey!" he said, a wacky grin on his face. He picked up the stuffed animal then threw it back at her. They continued to laugh and fight for over an hour, only stopping when they were both out of breath and their backs were on the floor beside each other.

"Harry, I wish you weren't treated so badly. You don't deserve to be Dudley's punching bag." Chloe said and held her hand in his. They lay like that for who-knows how long, just enjoying each other's company. He squeezed the palm of her hand, a small smile on his face. Chloe could tell that his face was turning red, blushing, from holding her hand.

"I wish you went to my school. We'd get to be in the same class, possibly even sit by each other." Harry said, looking at there intertwined fingers.

"And I'd be there to help you kick Dudley's stupid ugly rear end." Chloe said, causing laughter to burst from both of them. Harry grabbed another stuffed animal and shoved it in Chloe's face.

"What the heck!" she said and giggled uncontrollably, tossing a stuffed animal at Harry's face. They kept that up all night, til suddenly they heard a pecking sound on the window.