LUNAS: The Term, Their Role and Pack Structure

Hello everyone, Morterra (Lia) is here again to post the next topic for the Werewolf Genre Polls. This time the discussion will be ALPHA FEMALES and more specifically the term ‘LUNA.’ We all know that on wattpad, Lunas are mates of the Alpha. But is that the accurate term? Who give such title to the ‘ALPHA FEMALE? What are their [Alpha Females] roles in nature? Are they accurately portrayed on wattpad? This discussion will also include vital information about wolf pack structure.

The Werewolf Library will like to give SPECIAL THANKS TO THESE MARVELOUS INDIVIDUALS: @DouglasAllanSteel and @MrsGboys4ever . THIS CHAPTER IS DEDICATED TO THEM!

The library will also like to thank these amazing people for their participation:

@Arch_AlphaSirius ,  @shadowcrossing and @splashmonster

__________

Disclaimer: This discussion is not to discredit any stories involving Luna, Alpha Female and Pack Structure and Life. This is merely to provide vital and important information to the werewolf community on wattpad.

****

ALPHA FEMALE AND LUNA

ONE:

I have never heard the term "Luna" used outside of Wattpad to portray any ranking within a wolf Hierarchy. However it seems that most people use it as a title for a Female Alpha – that would be the Female leader of the Pack.

This is where things get tricky between wolves and werewolves, within a Wolf pack the "Luna" or Matriarch to give its more recognized title actually holds more power than any other wolf in the Pack. She is the only female allowed to breed (since wolf packs are usually family groups that also make her the mother, so there is natural progression from mother to daughter; however in captivity it is more complicated). This means that she will pick the Male who is genetically the best for the survival of her pack to be her "mate".

Her main job is to look out for the pack, the packs survival is her greatest interest, and her Chosen Alpha will assist her in doing this. But they will not get involved in internal affairs that the Matriarch will leave to the Beta to deal with.

Wattpad werewolves on the other hand, the "Luna" is still the female Alpha, but her role is much simpler, she is the Female leader of the pack, and the Alpha's chosen mate (The more Human side of the werewolf showing through I assume). But since werewolf packs work using a mix of both Wolf and Human social dynamics her tasks are more comparable to that of a Queen or Empress, she rules the roost alongside the Alpha.

These are of course my understandings, the Wolf version is the one I understand better, with the Wattpad one being more obscure to me sorry if I get some details wrong.

ALPHA, PACK STRUCTURE, ALPHA FEMALE, LUNA, BETA…

TWO:

I actually researched this quite a bit I agree with what [was] said above. Essentially they are the Alpha Female, however they are known as Lunas not just in the wattpad community. For example I found a famous comic book writer who has a series about the Luna, who he calls The Alpha Female. It is also a name given by researchers of wolf behavior to the Alpha Female of a certain pack they researched, so from there it may have grown as well.

Though in real wolf packs the Alpha female is the only one aloud to breed, it is actually the Alpha couple, though sometimes the Beta as well. It just depends on the dominance of the Alpha couple.