CHAPTER 2 PART TWO FULL

Te-eleven minutes later, Kijani walked outside, carrying only one canvas backpack that was a single shade of green darker than her eyes. Beside her walked a man probably around 6 feet tall with the same colored hair and same dark freckles that she had. The only difference between the two were the color of his eyes. While hers were an emerald green, his were a piercing blue like Octavia's but one had traces of brown surrounding the pupil.

"This is my brother, Cal. Don't worry, he's not coming, he just came out to see who I was running off with."

Octavia laughed as he reached out to shake her hand. "My name is Octavia and apparently, I'm kidnapping your sister and dragging her two states away to return this journal with only a hand-drawn map and a semi-stale muffin."

"And now a full tank of gas," his smile was just as piercing as his eyes were. His skin had been tanned to the color of a freshly brewed mocha due to being outside, working on cars all day in the blazing sun of Idaho, making his eyes seem even bluer. They were like a bright blue pool of Hawaiian water that had been oddly located in the middle of Death Valley. Octavia pondered to herself how the hell two people as beautiful as these two could possibly exist without being freaking angels.

He patted the side of Bruce, examining the body- somewhat admiring how Octavia had kept such an old truck in such perfect condition. "Is this a 1980?"

"Yeah, it was my dad's and he passed it down to me once I got my license."

"This thing is awesome, I would kill to get my hands on one."

"Well keep killing, he's not for sale," Octavia laughed. 

"Will do, sweetheart. You better watch out though, before you become the first to go." He winked as she rolled her eyes at his comment, still chuckling. 

Kijani hopped in the passenger seat and was silent as she was examining what kind of music was on the playlist for the road trip. Octavia stepped inside, said her goodbye's to Cal and shook his hand one more time. "Call me if you need anything, Ki."

"You're probably going to need me more than I'm going to need you, I basically run this place." Cal laughed and shut Kijani's door, waving to them, queuing them to drive off. 

"Are you depressed?" Kijani asked after about ten minutes of being on the road. Octavia was taken aback by the question. This girl doesn't even know her, how dare she ask something so bold? She has no idea what she's been through recently. What was wrong with her? They just met and she was already asking personal questions.

"Excuse me?" Octavia gave her a dirty look as all of these thoughts flew through her head. 

"Sorry, not like that. I just noticed your music was a little on the sad side, plus your eyes are red like you've been crying and you're obviously not on drugs... right?" 

She felt better now. It made sense that Kijani was curious and to be quite honest, Octavia was feeling as if she was depressed. "Actually, about 20 minutes before I pulled over to get gas, I got a call from my mom that my great grandma died." 

"Oh shit dude, I'm so sorry. Were you guys close?"

"Yeah, she was my biggest inspiration growing up; like another mom to me. I just can't actually believe that she's gone." 

"Yeah I know how that is. When my dad died, I refused to believe it for like six months. I finally snapped out of it when I realized how run down the station became. Dad 'woulda never let it get like that. Me and Cal have been trying to clean it up, but we just let it get so bad and he always had it so perfect... it won't ever be the same." 

"Well it's good that you guys have something to remember him by, like a little piece of his heart was left for you guys to have forever." 

Kijani nodded in agreement. Octavia looked over and noticed that she had a tear running down her cheek, rolling over each freckle, not stopping for anyone. 

"Hey. This trip should help you get your mind off things. It's always good to get away for awhile to let go of everything you're unintentionally holding on to. All the bad stuff." She handed Kijani one of the napkins she had taken when she got her muffin earlier. Kijani brought the napkin up to her eyes and wiped the tears away. 

"You're right. I need this, Cal needs this. Since he died, me and my brother have been inseparable. He's the only one I have left, and it's the same for him; we're all we got. I'm surprised he even let me go without a fight." 

"Well I assure you, everything will be fine and you'll make it home safe. Judging by my route, we should be back in... like three days? Unless something comes up and we have to travel to like China or something." 

They both laughed. "Let's just hope that's not the case. I don't think I want to get THAT far away." 

Octavia smiled and agreed. She handed Kijani her phone and told her to turn on something she wanted to listen to. She was pleasantly surprised when Jack White came singing through her speakers and started singing along. They rolled down both of their windows, Octavia was finally on her way.