Chapter 15 - The Sea Hawks

Li Wei spent the rest of the mid-morning and early part of the afternoon in his cabin writing in his journal; there was little he could do on deck. He recorded the events that had taken place since his arrival in the prefectural city of Qiong-zhou. It was a brief visit. Events, however, were moving rapidly. He was on his way to meet with Feng Ang.

Once he began recording these events, however, he was surprised at how easily he had taken Byung's word for what was happening. He sat back for a moment.

Of course, she might just be a pirate and not have anything to do with Feng Ang. It wouldn't be the first time that a government official had been kidnapped for ransom. My backpack looks undisturbed. They could have gone through it and found my Imperial Commissioner seals of office. Perhaps, I wasn't so foolish leaving the Feng Ang map on my desk in the prefectural guest room. That would have kept them out of my backpack.

And beyond that, considering the possible leak of his mission, he wondered had they somehow found out or guessed his real relationship to the Emperor? He was after all, the Emperor's cousin. However, the Emperor had insisted for political reasons that the relationship remain a well-kept secret. At this point in the establishment of the new dynasty, it was simply safer to trust one's relatives. Li Wei would not allow his relationship to the Emperor to interfere with the work of the new government. He had no qualms with committing suicide to protect the Emperor. He knew that Li Shihmin was not the typical Emperor, obsessed with personal power. Li Wei knew his cousin was committed to establishing a dynasty that would make a difference for the common people of the Empire.

That was certainly worth dying for. Yet, perhaps I am overreacting to Byung's remark about the Dan not being such a simple people. They were certainly a proud people, and to treat them otherwise, as his fellow Chinese had for hundreds of years, was counterproductive.

Li used a coded writing form that he had developed to note such observations in his journals, for the Emperor had specifically asked him to report on the administration and conditions of the regions he visited. Li Wei believed that this Emperor would not be swayed by his subjects' ethnicity.

Li's immediate concerns, however, crept back into his consciousness and his eyelids began to flutter uncontrollably. He needed to remain calm and sought refuge in the Yellow Gourd Studio. After a few drinks, he could think clearly, his thoughts flowed in a more discernible, rational fashion. At least, that was his way of understanding it.

Byung was a capable woman and she certainly seemed friendly. However, it could be friendliness constructed to mask treachery. Could the many stories that I've read about the powers of southern aborigine women over men be true? Were they dangerous enchanters? Or was this just more of Chinese prejudice attempting to fill in gaps where facts were wanting? But there was that skull on the top of the main mast. Yet, such tales of enchantment, under closer inspection, turn out to be products of overactive imaginations lacking clear, rational judgment. But I wonder if this is all my imagination?

Yet, drugging a drink or food was not difficult and his schooling under Tanzong in discovering such deceits had only been a brief two weeks.

At this morning's breakfast, he suddenly realized, I was so hungry that I hadn't even thought about examining the food or drink. I am clearly at a disadvantage in this in this jianghu environment of the wandering blades.

A knock at his door broke off his considerations. He reached over and slid it open. Black Pearl was kneeling by the doorframe.

"Chinese person, we did not disturb you for mid-day meal because you need your rest, but I hope you haven't been wasting all your time making marks on paper."