Don't Judge a Girl by Her Sarcasm

Chapter 2

After we were all ready to go we all piled out of the house and into the cars, I had insisted on going with my grandparents because I didn't want to be subjected to torture, otherwise known as my parents. Me + My Dad + Confined Space = Disaster. That or murder.

I grudgingly followed behind as my mother went on about all the different shops we had to go in and what kind of dress she wanted me to wear.

"I think we'll get Peyton's dress first and then we have to go pick up Blake's suit for him." My mother was ranting on more to herself than any of us but I was still taken aback by what she said.

"Wait, Blake's coming?" I asked in surprise.

"Of course, he wants to see his little sister." My mother said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

She carried on chattering about her plans but I managed to tune her out until we got in a dress store and her and my grandmother went wild grabbing dresses off the rail that I would look 'darling' or 'beautiful' in. I groaned as I caught a glimpse of a few of the hideous dresses they wanted me to try on. I wasn't the type of girl that liked wearing big ball gown dresses or even going to the fancy dinner parties my mother often threw, I was quite happy to go out clubbing in a normal party dress that didn't have frills or long sweeping trains but was above the knee and tight fitted and comfortable heels... Oh god, I just thought about the shoes they are going to force me into. I groaned again but stopped when I heard a deep chuckle coming from beside me and looked over to see my dad standing there. My dad was standing laughing at me! Never mind the surprise I felt just seeing him laugh but even I wouldn't subject my worst enemy to this and he was laughing at me!

"You're laughing now but wait until you have to wear a tux, you wont be laughing then." I said smugly, smirking as his face fell and his laughter stopped. "Yeah, didn't think about that did you."

"No, I didn't but I'm shoved into one of those things all the time whereas you, you aren't used to this and I'm going to enjoy watching them torture you the way I have been for the last seven years."

He walked away laughing and I stared after him in shock; I think that was the most civilised conversation we have had since I was six. I didn't know what had stunned me more, the conversation or the fact I enjoyed the conversation.

I was into the changing rooms and handed a dress out of the many they had, it was blue and had frills from the hips down. It was disgusting. I shook my head and handed it back to them.

"I wouldn't be caught dead in that. Or that, or that, or that. Not that, not that either, no way in hell, is that a pig flying over there? I don't even think that can be counted as a dress. It's not Halloween, I'm not a cross dresser-" I was cut off as I pointed to each dress and made a comment on how ridiculous it was.

"How about this one?" my granddad held up a black, floor length dress. It was beautiful, it would fit my curves perfectly and was off one shoulder while the other had a long sleeve that would fit my arm like a glove. It had a slit in it up to my knee so you could see my tan leg. I loved it, it wasn't frilly or over the top, it was elegant yet simple, perfect for me.

I smiled, "It's perfect grandpap." I said and rushed forward to take it from him and give him a kiss on the cheek for saving me from a horrible fate of poofy dresses.

"Try it on, go on." My mother and grandma said as they ushered me into the stall.

*

After we left the shop with the dress and a pair of black silk heels to match, we went to pick up my brothers tux and went shopping for normal clothes for me, apparently my mom didn't like the ones I had brought home with me but I didn't mind much because my mom has good taste in clothes and what will look good on you. Hard to believe when she just tried to get me to wear a dress that made me look like a overgrown child but that was only because she gets carried away with herself when she throws a dinner party.