Chapter 1

It was the year 845. My long hair fell in a curtain on one side of my face, shielding me from the midday sun that was beaming through the window. I was drawing what I imagined the outside world looked like. Father didn't know I was learning about the outer walls. I wasn't even supposed to learning about it, it's pretty much illegal in the walls.

As I finished drawing a forrest of giant trees surrounding a sparkling blue lake, I heard a knock on my bedroom door. Jumping up, startled, I slammed my atlas shut and shoved it under my bed, and placing my drawing under my pillow.

As I heaved the heavy door open, I heard shuffling and footsteps in the hall. I peeked my head around the corner tentatively calling out to whoever was there, 'Hello? Wh-Who's there?" I stepped out into the hall, my bare feet silent on the wood of the floor. My hands tightened into fists held protectively to my chest.

Suddenly, two strong hands grabbed me around the waist and hoisted me up into the air. I squealed, kicking and flailing my legs.

"Hush now, Corina! It's only me."

As a folded my arms over my chest, I huffed as I was lowered to the ground. I spun around and pointed a finger, "Don't do that to me! You know it scares me!!" I shouted.

"Aw, I missed you too!" He laughed, ruffling me hair as he kneeled gown to hug me. When I stayed where he put me he asked "Do I not get a hug? I'll let you braid my hair." He coaxed holding his arms open. My pout wavered as I imagined him with flowers and braids in his hair and I ran towards him and flung my small arms around his neck. "I missed you too, Uncle Lucas."

Uncle Lucas was in the Survey Corps. When they managed to capture a Titan alive he would preform psychological experiments on them. He would often tell me stories of missions beyond the walls and experiments he had done.

If you're confused let me explain; a century ago, almost all of humanity was wiped out by the Titans, a mysterious race of humanoid giants. Their origins, overall numbers, and how their physiology works is still unknown to us.

The Walls were built when humanity started to become extinct at the hand of the Titans. The humans made the walls to protect their last stronghold. The walls reach about 50 metres in height. The tops of the walls are lined with cannons, which can fire on approaching Titans.

The walls are too long to be guarded in their entirety. To account for this, each one has four towns on their periphery. As Titans are drawn towards large concentrations of people, humanity can focus its defenses at these towns. There are three walls; Wall Maria, the outermost wall, Wall Rose the wall in the middle, where we live, and Wall Sina, the innermost wall where the king lives along with the richer people, under the protection of the Military Police.

Uncle Lucas said that the Military police was for cowards who has the skill to survive in the Survey Corps, but they're too scared to join.

"When I'm older, I wanna join the survey corps and be just like you!" I had told him when I was younger. I still stood for that and believed that I would use my skills for aiding the safety of humanity, even if it meant dying for it.

*

[Lucas is talking about Hanji here]

"And then then guess what they did!" Uncle Lucas was telling me about a Titan his squad had captured recently.

"What?!" I exclaimed, my green eyes glittering with excitement.

"They got too close to Issei and he snapped at them. Poor Moblit."

Moblit was Uncle Lucas' squad leaders assistant. With the stories he'd told me, poor Moblit must be due for a heart attack any time soon.

His squad leader, Ms Hanji, seemed fun and I'd love to get the chance to work with them if I got the chance.

I had fun when Uncle Lucas was here. He came to visit after he returned from

missions outside the walls, when he had a day or two off.

There wasn't any children my age in this part of the Karanese District. My father and I lived in a small house across the river pushed close to the edge of the wall. There used to be a girl I was friends with, Leah Lightwood, but she moved away to Jinae in southern Wall Rose.

I giggle out loud as I slotted daisies into the braids I had made in his long hair. The warm breeze blew my hair over my shoulder, the setting sun beating down on my back and neck.

Suddenly, there was the sound of hooves. Uncle Lucas hesitated for a second, listening, then he stood up and brushed himself off. He made his way into the cul-de-sac in the junction between the houses with a sense of urgency flowing from him. My face fell slightly, as he pulled the flowers from his hair on the way.

However, I didn't understand the importance of the situation, until I was in the junction.

There were three members of the Survey Corps on horses outside.

"Wall Maria has fallen! An unusual sixty metre class 'Colossal Titan' appeared at the outer wall of the Shiganshina district and made a hole in the wall, and then followed a fifteen meter class 'Armoured Titan' broke through Wall Maria." That was all they told us before riding off.

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

Hihi ^.^ Um Sophie, Nicole, Grace, Leanan and Kaydi you'll come in in a couple of chapters c:

Sorry this chapter is so short Dx