How to: Break a Bad Habit

b e i g e  a e s t h e t i c

b e i g e a e s t h e t i c

We all have bad habits, whether it's chewing ice, playing with our hair, or biting our fingernails. All of which are based on opinion, so please don't feel pressured to try to break that habit unless you are willing to, this book wasn't made to pressure people. So here we go!

~Fine Yourself~
If you find yourself doing that habit you want to stop doing, sometimes the greatest motivator into quitting is to set aside some money or change into a jar. You can also reward yourself for going a day without doing that thing by taking some money out of the jar!

~Know What Triggers It~
The best thing to know when trying to break a habit is knowing what triggers the habit itself. That way you can look for tells when you're about to start doing it again.

~Take Baby Steps~
Making slow progress is part of quitting, stopping all at once sometimes just doesn't work. Baby steps help you learn how far you've made it, although sometimes it can take longer than quitting altogether.

~Change Your Environment~
Most of the time it's the environment that has a huge involvement in part of your habit. For instance, if you're trying to eat healthier, a cake leftover from your birthday that's just sitting on the counter is probably not going to help your case.

~Think About the Positives and the Negatives~
Make sure to either make a mental list or an actual list of the negative factors of your bad habit, and the positives about quitting it, it'll help you understand and create a clearer goal for what you have in mind.

~Have a Friend Keep Track of Your Progress~
Having a friend help you quit your habit is something that could help quite a lot, when I tried to quit chewing ice, my friends were there to smack my hand away from my glass, making sure that I wouldn't even get a piece.

Question of the Chapter:
Do you have a bad habit, and if so, what is it?

My Answer:
Yeah, and it's sucking on ice, I stopped chewing it though.