Sing me to sleep

Chapter two

Two totally different worlds,

Sharing nothing but longitude and latitude.

There was the nation in the day, and the nation at night,

Existing side by side but each fleeing the other;

A daylight nation and a midnight nation.

Eight- La Dispute.

The vines slowly wrap their hands around the rusty old metal swings as they move along to the sound of the wind as it hits it with a small push of a ding. The rays of the light reach in through the clouds as they fight for dominance on the land as the flowers stray towards their haven.  Small chuckles and giggles fill the humid atmosphere as a child enters the vision of the unknown, skipping with her tiny little feet as she goes down the path to where the light hits the floor with its power that brings such a sensational feeling to the girl.

She twirls around in her little blue and white ribboned dress, it flowing around her as her feet go clockwise to a beat which cannot be heard. She smiles, showing her little bright baby teeth with little specks of brown from the chocolate bar she had a while ago.

As she closes her eyes and let’s herself fall back, an arm that resembled a skeleton reached to wrap itself like a snake around her tiny waist and lifted her from the ground. She yelps and giggles as the unknown twirls her around, chuckling at the little girls movements.

“Charlie, dear, you should be more careful,” the man spoke. “Places like this aren’t safe for young little children like you.” She scoffs as he places her on his hip, which poked into her side causing her to gasp at the slight pain. Pouting, she hits him on the back of his head as she speaks, her melodic voice singing out to the creatures of the land. 

“I am sorry about that, L. I didn’t mean to! It just looks so…peaceful.” He sighed and pulled her close to him as he walked deeper into the garden, where vines began to turn into dead branches that left ashes lying down below from the death rays that demolished them. Rubbing his eyes, he removed his cloak away from his head; revealing perfect silky hair that he shook from his striking blue eyes.

The child looked up to him with a large smile, her cheeks cherry red as she looked into his eyes. Her hand moves towards his cheek, her fingers slightly wiggling at the feeling of his soft silky hair barely touching them. 

The tingling feeling returns and she closes her eyes as she hears a slight beat skip in her miniature chest. Her slight intake of breath caused him to turn his head slowly towards her, a look of confusion in his eyes. He places his skeletal hand on hers causing her breath that was in control to speed up as he looked into her eyes that sparkled like diamonds.

“What is wrong, carissme?”

Her eyes slowly shift up to his face, recognizing that he had been staring at her for quite a long time.  The way his eyes would look at her so tenderly, like a father would look at his child, made her confused. Why did he look at her like that?  What made his eyes sparkle like diamonds whenever he saw her? Was it her?

Was it me who made him smile for the first time in his life? She questioned herself. Was it me who made it even possible for him to smile? The breeze slowly lapped at her hair, strands flicking into his face, yet he seemed to not care at all.

His eyes stayed focused on her and only her, as he knew deep in his heart that she would always be something to him, even if one day she’d go against him for the crimes he made. She fluttered her eyes as a slight breeze hovered around her, singing soft melodies into her elf-like ears. “Why is it that every time I touch you, I feel….alive?” she whispered to the man who stood stiff in his position. His eyes flickered to her and back to the scenery as he took a deep breath in, another soul entering his lungs.