Kimberly's a victim

When I got home I went straight into the bathroom.

I watched the cold water from the tap trickle onto my throbbing hand and winced in pain; Tasha’s friend had a set of claws on her boy. I splashed my face with water and studied it as my fingers travelled the perimeter making sure that I wasn’t cut or bruised. I let out a sigh and shook my head as I replayed the scenario in my head.

“Why you sighing?”

I looked up and saw that my uncle was standing in the doorway; I looked at the dirty footprints he was leaving on the bathroom floor, my focus then averted to the carelessly folded Sainsbury’s uniform that lay in his arms. Twenty three years of age and useless!

“Aren’t you going to work tonight?”

“Nah, I got things to do innit, Amelia’s at her bredrins”, he replied and then dumped the uniform into the overflowing wash basket.

I nodded and pictured my little sister Amelia huddled up with her friend Lindsey watching Disney Channel.

I looked up at the ceiling and could hear my uncle’s footsteps getting closer. He bandaged my waist with his arm and looked down at me; I looked straight into his pale green eyes searching for emotion, guilt maybe. I closed my eyes as soon as I felt his soft wet lips make contact with my neck .He stroked my arm and planted more gentle kisses then whispered “bye” into my ear.

I didn’t move until I heard the door slam shut; I locked the door and slid the door chain through the bolt. When Uncle Sage does that, I don’t react, it’s a ritual now. I don’t feel anything, I’m not sure if that’s a good or bad thing, I’m used to him being intimate with me. I usually confide in Trey even though he doesn’t know the whole story, but that obviously isn’t an option.

I listened to my stomach rumble and made my way to the kitchen and opened the fridge. I lay my eyes on the two day old Tesco BLT that was wedged between an expired block of cheese and a half eaten burger wrapped in cling film and cringed. I guess food wasn’t an option.

I groaned and went back into the bathroom; although the house was empty I locked the door and stripped. I pulled my hair out of the bun I had put it in this morning and stepped into the shower. I turned the water on and didn’t react when the droplets of ice cold water pelted my skin, I was used to it. I washed my hair and body and got out of the shower just as quickly as I got in. I wrapped my body in a towel and sat on the edge of the bathtub and blow dried my hair, I applied some hair grease and left it in a fat afro.I then went into my room, dried and creamed. I slipped into a pair of black boxers and a stripy black and white vest top. I went upstairs and opened the cupboard next to Uncle Sage’s room. I got out the mop and bucket and mopped the kitchen and bathroom floor where Uncle Sage had brought mud in.

I then got into bed and set my alarm for football training in the morning.

I looked over at Radum; he was a half English half Indian boy who had moved to the school a couple of months ago. He wasn’t much taller than me probably 5ft something, he had nice big hazel eyes, jet black hair and thin lips that were presses together in a harsh line. I didn’t know why he was on the football team, he was really crap if I’m being honest, maybe that’s why he felt the need to pick on me.

I looked at my reflection in the glass that made up the wall on the side of the east wing, next to the field. My hair was in two fish braids, and my glasses were balancing on the ridge of my nose, I was getting rid of them soon. My white and blue football T-shirts hung off my shoulder; it was Trey’s old one, way too big. The matching shorts were mine though, Uncle Sage bought them, and they were two sizes too small. The material stuck to my bum making me more a lot more self-conscience on the pitch then I would normally be. I looked into the background and saw Trey doing laps as usual, for giving lip.

He must’ve felt my gaze as he turned around a handed me a criticizing stare; we hadn’t spoken since last night. I wasn’t going to apologise when I wasn’t in the wrong, Tasha was.

I turned away from the glass and lined up a ball getting ready to do a run up when Radum approached me, smiling. I stood up straight preparing myself for whatever he was going to dish out, I guess Trey was right about one thing I needed to stop lashing out.

“You alright  Kim  Kim?”

 Radum lined a ball next to mine and flashed me another fake smile. I shuffled uncomfortably and took a few steps backwards watching Radum get ready to take a shot.

“I don’t even know why this idiot lets girls on the team, bitches like you should stay in the kitchen, or off the pitch at least don’t you think Kim?”

I ignored Radum and watched him kicked the ball; it flew up in the air and landed only a few steps away from us.

“For fuck sake, ay Sket go and get my ball”

I looked at Radum in disbelief.

“I’m not a Sket”

“Did I ask you, just go and get my fucking ball, dumb bitch “

I sighed and turned to Trey who was watching intently, he didn’t do or say anything so I went to get Radum’s ball. I think Radum wanted a reaction but the things he said didn’t really bother me, I don’t value him, his views and or his opinion.

I picked his ball up and held it out to him; he screwed me and hit it so that it flew out of my hands. I regarded Radum, he must have serious issues, he does this every practice.

He shouted at me and gently pushed me, “I don’t want it now it’s dirty!”

“Well we’re in the field; it’s going to get dirty.”

“Are you getting rude, I’ll bang you yah know!”

Trey stopped running, “Bang who,  are you fucking sick, open your mouth again and see what happens to you!”

Most of the team had now tuned in. But I wasn’t paying any attention to them, just Trey. He gets angry a bit too quickly; he doesn’t take time out to think about the situation he’s in and the consequences of his actions. Trey was on probation and wasn’t letting him go back in, Radum’s not worth it neither am I.

I watched his chest rise and fall aggressively, I turned to Radum, he looked nervous.

“I’m not scared of you,” Radum was being brave but he let out barley a whisper.

Trey’s face was now red; I didn’t understand why he was so angry. I slowly walked over to him pleading with my eyes. He started shouting abuse at Radum; I gripped onto his arm and tried to calm him down.

His attention relocated from Radum to me.

“Why are you touching me Kimberly?”

I let go and back away

….

The three of us sat in the detention room waiting for community service to start. Radum watched the clock; I watched Radum and Trey watched me, a long chain of uncomfortable stares.