Chapter II

Chapter II:
Stay

"What if an angel stares at you, every time you look away?"

His knees were trembling, his shoulders shuddering as he dragged himself to open the door. He already knew what it meant, when he heard three straight knocks from his unit's ingress.

"Sawamura-kun, you need to pay the rent." The old woman smiled sourly. Daichi let out a deep sigh as he gently massaged his temples, allowing the old woman in.

"Yubaba-san, I'm afraid my money is insufficient." His face collapsed into a frown, and the old woman could do nothing but smile.

She stood up as she patted his back in an attempt to comfort him. Daichi was starting to feel embarrassed; he knew his rent was her only source of income.

"I understand." She said, like always. The old woman graced her way out of Daichi's unit, her melancholic smile never leaving her face.

The dark-haired man sunk on his tattered leather-buttoned couch. Both his hands cupped his face in frustration as he sighed in distraught.

"Hey," a faint voice made him pivot his head to the side. The grey-haired man beamed at him. His youthful glow somehow made him feel at ease. He was leaning on the doorframe, and Daichi couldn't help but smile at how good he looked in his clothes.

He stood up, desperately wiping the tears that ran on his cheeks. Daichi managed to smile, he scratched his nape as he thought of something to say. "Y-You're awake!"

"Yeah," the guy smiled. A soft giggle escaped his lips when he saw how frantic he looked.

"Uhhh, can I help you with something?" He hastily went to the kitchen, opening the cupboard as he dusted the cobwebs off.

His cheeks gained a lovely shade of rose when all he found was bread and jam. He heard footsteps scuff against the wooden tiles, and he managed a nervous chuckle as he faced the man impeccably dressed in white.

"All I have is bread and jam." He uttered softly as he stared at his feet momentarily. "Sorry, I really don't have that much."

"That's more than enough."

His mood perked up, he scratched the back of his head as he took the only food he had left. "I'm Daichi Sawamura." He smiled, placing the saucer in front of the guy as he sat across him.

"I'm Sugawara Kōshi."

"What happened to you? Why were you out in the open last night?" He casually tapped his fingers on top of his table. His other hand cupping his chin as he flashed a stern look.

"I couldn't remember a thing." Sugawara sighed. He looked at the loaf of bread aimlessly, as he thought hard.

"So, where do you live?"

"I actually don't have a place." Sugawara pouted his lips, as he propped his elbow on top of the table and placed his chin on top of his palm.

"What about your family?" The silver-haired lad shook his head vehemently, and Daichi's mouth fell agape at his expense.

"S-Sorry."

"No, thank you and sorry for all the trouble."

"N-No! It's fine!" He flailed his hands in front of him as he smiled. Daichi never felt this good in a long time. His smiles were sincere and his laughs were genuine.

"You know what, if you don't have a place to go, you can live with me here." He chuckled. Daichi himself didn't know what made him say that. He could barely support himself, yet here he was, offering a stranger to live with him.

"Huh?" Sugawara's mouth fell agape, unsure of what he heard.

"W-Well, I don't have much but–"

"No! Really? Thanks!" Tears were already edging Sugawara's eyes. An ear-to-ear smile crept up his face as he squeezed Daichi's hand.

"Sure. All you have to do is stay."