The Tear

Stefan had never lacked in self confidence. Since he was only a young cole, he had been fawned over regularly. The humans were in awe whenever they saw him, and enjoyed treating him to delicious food, fun games, and all the toys he could ever want. They loved running hands through his shiny white coat and taking photos.

But, there was something Stefan was missing - many things actually. As many perks as Stefan received from being the last unicorn, it was lonely. Stefan had never known his parents, he had no siblings, no friends of his own kind, and nobody to love. Sure, Stefan had friends. He loved Pierre, his human companion. If only companionship were enough.

In the past few years of his life, ever since Stefan had grown to adulthood, there had been a prominent emptiness inside of him. Pierre never failed to notice when it got particularly bad. The human would set up his canvas and brushes, and would set to work. Pierre created universes with colors. Often, landscapes of beautiful nights were dotted with unicorns, as if it were hundreds of years prior, when herds still roamed the earth.

The boy had talent. He could take weeks to finish projects, but whenever Stefan looked at his paintings he felt that emptiness filling just a bit. Although it was only an image, there were others like him, and they looked so alive.

It was raining. Stefan loved the rain. He loved what it did to his coat, creating an aura of immeasurable beauty. Pierre loved it too. He sat underneath a tin roof, a small canvas in front of him and an even smaller table by his side. They knew the drill. Stefan stood completely still, head held to the sky, while Pierre painted in darkened purples and whites, creating a vivid, lively image.

This was usually fun. Pierre's paintings were Stefan's only way to see himself. They were glorious, and the young unicorn would never argue with an image that represented him like royalty. The very essence of imperialism. It felt powerful, sometimes Stefan even felt like a god.

Today was different. The normal loneliness had become a sore pain in his chest. Every breath was shallow, closed, shaky. He had no idea what had set him off, but he felt like crying. It wasn't as if Pierre would notice with the rain. Stefan refused to cry.

"Done!" Pierre's light, cheerful voice cued Stefan to let relax his body and trot to his friend. Under the tin roof, protected from the tap-tap-taping rain, Stefan lost his breath.

The painting was beautiful. Pierre had spent weeks on the portrait, working outside whenever it was dark and raining so that he could paint with a more realistic tone. Purple made up the night sky, black made the silhoutte of trees, and white made a beautiful coat, shining with the most beautiful aqua blue Stefan had laid eyes on.

The animal in the painting was not him. The cheekbones were too rigid, the eyes too bright. The other unicorn's body was more muscular than his lean one, and slightly larger. Its blue aura was very different than Stefan's distinct silver tint.

The soreness in Stefan's lungs spread to his throat, a ball keeping him from voicing his opinion. He wanted to be with the other unicorn, run together, talk in their own language, and feel the other's coat against his own. It would never happen. Stefan was the last of his kind. He allowed his head to drop. It was impossible.

Pierre's hand was rubbing his face, whispering words of comfort while Stefan finally released his tears. Silver, shiny droplets that ran down his face and fell into the dirt, reflecting light from every source it could find. Pierre caught a droplet, lifting his finger from Stefan's skin so that they could both examine the liquid.

"You know, I'm supposed to harvest these." Pierre smiled. Stefan had always hated that process - others making profit from his sadness, "You know that I wouldn't. I'm not my brother." Stefan looked up. Pierre had moved his hand and the droplet.

"Obviously you know that your tears are considered under the list of magical remedies. When there were more of you, they were used to heal people. It helped with many mental illnesses and saved the lives of terminal patients." If Pierre was attempting to distract Stefan it was working. He looked up, watched the single tear in the hand of his friend and caretaker. The boy was so smart.

"It isn't as well known that, when paints were mixed from dirt and blood, inexperienced artists would use unicorn hair and tears to make their paintings look more alive. According to some old legends, if the painting was already lively enough, it could actually create a reality. Take an image and make it true. Do you want to find out if it works?"

Stefan nodded, however hopeless this seemed, he was willing to try. The single tear was taken to the canvas and rubbed into the other's eye. Nothing happened. Stefan turned away. Pierre sighed.

"It's okay, Stefan. You always have..." The words tempered off, a sharp light cutting off everything else. Stefan through his head up. He couldn't see, the light was glaring. Stefan had to step backwards and shield his face.

Again it was dark.

"Look up..." Pierre whispered, drawing Stefan's attention back to the dark canvas. The subject was missing. Only the sky and trees making up a landscape.

Beyond that, glowing a light blue, soaked wet, exactly where Stefan had been standing minutes before, stood the other unicorn. He was the most handsome creature that Stefan had ever laid eyes on, and he was staring back, confused, and beautiful in every single way possible. Stefan could not look away. He did not want to.

Neither remembered how long they stood there, underneath the pouring rain. But they did remember each other's eyes, and tears, and introductions.

Stefan would never forget the way his heart began skipping again.