Chapter 14

Returning to the scene of the crime.

It's a trite little saying among thieves, but like all trite and cleverly annoying sayings there's a grain of truth in it, a reason it's stuck around. Simply put - it happens.

Every now and then some dunce muddles their way through a burglary and then becomes so concerned they might have left something behind that they have to go back and double-check. Either that or they're so sure of themselves that they figure they can perform the exact same trick a second time.

It's stupid.

I myself have left things - precious things - behind during a robbery and not gone back to retrieve them.

One time, I'd stolen a particularly nice candelabra from a very security-conscious Lord who disliked me, more or less just to prove to him that I could. I was already back at my keep before I realized that I had somehow left one of my favorite daggers sitting on his dining room table, having used it to pry off a couple of the ensorcelled tracking gems on the surface of my target.

I'd called myself all sorts of nasty names that night, not because the dagger itself was probably worth at least a dozen candelabra, but because it had the Tucat family crest on it.

I didn't return that night to get it, nor the night after. I suppose it didn't hurt that he knew it was me, and that may have been a factor in why I didn't go back.

Still, it's one of the most amateurish sort of assumptions you can make, believing that the hours you spent studying your target's home will be enough to see you through safely a second time. People generally don't like being robbed from. They learn.

Anyhow, I got the dagger back, though much later on. Funny story, that.

I tried to ignore any misgivings I had over returning to Grey-bridge's estate for my second visit within the span of a few days. I was a Lord who was visiting the estate of another Lord, nothing unusual about that. I certainly wasn't planning on trying to rob him again.

But it felt amateurish. Scene of the crime, all that.

Eventually I found myself standing at the front door, and I gave the large silk door chime ribbon a firm yank. My efforts were met with a loud 'Bong', followed by several other smaller bells being struck or hit, the cascade effect producing a rather pleasant melody.

I have to get me one of those.

I'd been waiting just long enough to be considered rude, when I heard the slightest trace of movement on the other side of the door. There were several odd clicking noises, some squeaking of metal on metal, and the door was slowly pried open by a tight-lipped older gentleman.

He looked across at me and frowned, door stopping after being opened just enough to allow his head to poke out. He gave me the kind of look you might give a splatter of bird crap you'd just spotted on your shoe.

“Yes?” he said tiredly.

“Lord Tucat, here to see Lord Greybridge, if you please.” I mentally started preparing myself for the encounter with Lord Greybridge, going over the opening line I'd prepared in my head.

“I'm afraid he's not seeing company at the moment. Good day,” he said tersely, beginning to close the door even before he'd finished speaking.

“Uhm,” I interrupted lamely, reaching out and keeping the door from closing in my rather surprised face. “Sorry, could you please tell him? LordTucat, here to see him regarding fairly urgent business. If you would? Thank you ever so much.”