Chapter 2

Jade cursed under her breath. He definitely does not look like an assassin. And her late father's words resounded in her head; a person with a good disguise to hide who he really is can be rather dangerous. She watched as he smiled at everyone and then proceeded to making his way to the empty seat behind her. As soon as class was over, Jade jumped out of her seat and exited the room and slung her bag across her shoulder.

"Hey, wait up, babe!" Brett call as he grabbed her arm. She really likes playing hard to get, he thought as she saw her spin around with an agitated look on her face.

"Do not call me 'babe'," she hissed, turning around to glare at him.

Brett raised his arms up as though surrendering. He knew that she was genuinely annoyed and he did not want to push his luck. "Woah, chill! I was just wondering if you were free to go to the movies with me tonight?"

That question befuddled Jade but she crossed her arms and smirk. "Erm.. Did I hear right? Does the infamous Brett wants to go out as in on a date with me?"

"Hey! Come on! You know I don't date girls. But_"

Jade cut him off, "Yeap, since all you wanted to do was to get into their pants. So, why would I be any different?"

Feisty, nice. Brett leaned forward backing Jade up only to be stopped by a row of lockers. "Looks like you have nowhere to run," he murmured as he leaned forward so that their faces were only inches apart. He paused midway and smirked.

Jade was sure her face registered no emotions but why not have a little fun? She watched as Brett continued leaning in slowly never once averting his eyes from hers. Just when she thought it was close enough, she smirked and kneed him in the stomach.

He groaned and was bending over from the pain, "come on, you know you love me hunny, so you don't have to play hard to get!"

Jade chuckled to herself, he can still be a jerk after getting his ass kicked by a girl.

"I'll pick you up at seven!" he called, determined to meet up with her even though she was already walking towards the cafeteria not before turning back and giving him a wink. He smirked. Jade, Jade Lee.

Jade was looking for Lance, the new student or as she know him to be, the assassin but he was nowhere to be seen. Whitney was still surrounded by her bobbing cheerleaders but she continued to look around.

"Hey Jade! Over here!" Terry called while Ryan waved, rather enthusiastically.

She chuckled making her way to their table. She was never 'besties' with Whitney even though Whitney treated her like one. Jade's real friends are Terry and Ryan Woods. And, yes, they were twins.

"Hey, guys. How's it going?"

"Not good. Since you bailed on us last night,"Terry replied with an over-exaggerated pout. His mood changed suddenly as he leaned in just as Jade settled on the opposite side of the table, "I heard that you just kicked Brett's ass when he asked you out."

She laughed. "News on those kind of stunts do travel fast though, I'm sorry I bailed you guys at the movies yesterday."

"No worries. At least we know that you did not bail on us to go to another of Brett's parties," Ryan said.

Jade made an exaggerated horrified expression earning booming laughter from both the twins.

***

Tina popped her head in. "Hey, Jade, there's someone at the door looking for you and might I add, he's a pretty boy."

Jade sat up from her bed, shutting the book that she was reading and glanced at the clock. She yawned and made her way downstairs.

"What are you doing here?" she asked shocked at her guest.

"We have a date, remember?" Brett replied.

"I don't think I agreed to go out with you."

"You kneed me in the stomach so I kinda took that as a yes."

She rolled her eyes. "I came down with the flu. No dinner for you dear." Tina said as she feigned a cough and gave her a knowing smile.

"I guess it wouldn't hurt." But she thought Brett looked good. He was in a dark blue buttoned down shirt with his dirty blond hair ruffled up as though he ran through it numerical times.

Ten minutes later, she stepped out of the house in a pale yellow dress which hit above the knees. Brett gave Jade an appreciative glance as he looked her up and down earning an eye roll from her as she got into his car.

Just then her stomach rumbled. Jade sighed, embarassed to be caught hungry by a guy like Brett. He chuckled and without asking, he drove to Sumo San, a favourite local Japanese restaurant.

Brett really surprised Jade. All this while, she had the impression that he was this playboy jerk who always had a slut or another tagging along with him but he turned out to be a gentleman.

As they were finishing their meal, Brett's hand knocked his coke over and out of instinct, Jade's hands shot out from below and caught it before it hit the ground.

Crap. I wasn't supposed to do that. (Nope, she isn't any vampire with super abilities. Just being trained into a martial artist who has quick reflexes)

She placed the coke back on the table and dared a glance at Brett's face. She was surprised to see him looking at her as though he was studying her. Not cool. There were so many thoughts going in her head to try and explain what just happened. She finally opted for the 'nothing's going wrong so I'm just being happy-go-lucky me'.

"So? What we going to do? Movies? I heard that there_"

"Change of plans. I need to show you something."

Jade gulped but followed him back to his car anyway. It wasn't as though she couldn't handle a guy like Brett should the need arise.

He then drove her to this really posh building and once out of the car, led her to the top floor only to come to face with a door probably to his penthouse. He took out a card and swiped it.The door that was supposed to unlock did anything but that. What was once the plate that stated the room number turned out to be a scanner? Brett scanned his irises and the door swung open.

"Good evening, Mr. Sterling." A computerized voice said as they stepped into the penthouse.

"What is go_" she tried but was silenced with a chuckle.

"You didn't really think I wouldn't know what you were doing for most of the nights now, would you?" he said, making his way to the living room.

Jade gave a nervous laugh but remained rooted on the spot. "I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about."

"Really?" he cocked an eyebrow. "Eve, the videos."

"As you wish." What used to be a blank wall suddenly had a hologram in front of it. Oh, no wonder there is no T.V here. 

Jade gasped as she began making sense of the moving pictures infront of her. She saw herself in her customary black outfit as she gracefully swung herself onto the balcony of a house. Then, she also saw herself speeding off on her bike.

"Who a_are y_you?" Crap. Now she stuttering like a complete idiot. But she tensed her muscles nevertheless.

As though reading her mind, "You can't run anyway so no bother trying and I'm still Brett Sterling."