Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Flakes of snow drifted through the dull sky sticking to every piece of greenery until it was completely white. Steam from her hot mug danced into the horizon, disappearing as the chilling winter air tried to evaporate any heat it gave to her. She gripped onto it tightly while her toes squirmed in her fur boots searching for warmth. As the gushes of wind became fiercer and angrier they nipped at the skin on her bare shoulders of which her thick woolen pajamas were not protecting. Just as she decided to drink her quickly cooling coffee she heard distant crunches become louder and louder.

"Wow Avery," He said as he sat down beside her on the damp cotton blanket, "You're the only girl I know who would willingly sit out in the middle of winter with only a pair of jammies on." He said smiling amused by her choice of actions. She felt a blush trying to rise upon her already bright red cheeks as his deep charming laugh echoed through the early morning forest. "Here take this." He said taking of his grey coat and placing it on her numb shoulders. She felt and amazing surge of bliss run through her as she adjusted the thick duffel coat on her shoulders, taking in the tingling sensation it gave her.

"Thank you, Harry. You really didn't have to". She whispered huskily, her voice not fully awake.

"It's fine, love" He smiled pushing his fingers through his quiff. Her eyes ran over him, awestruck. Endless immersed thoughts ran through her head. She had always wondered how a human being could be so perfect. Everything about him drew her in. He had a pretty complection, which had sent alarm bells ringing since day one, but it seemed deeper than that. Everything about him got her heart beating faster. She always kind of thought there was an under layer to him, something mysterious but beautiful. She had never found what she was looking for, never tried, but deep down somewhere she knew it was there. She just needed the courage to pull it out.

"You know" He said withdrawing her out of her haze of troublesome contemplations,"It was quite strange not having you around." He spoke delicately, keeping his eyes on the frozen earth beneath him which dwelt in the hidden land under the snow.

"How so?" She said dumbfounded, completely and utterly. The astonishment was clear in her face, if not, obvious. She had never felt as if anyone but Louis and Casy would notice her absence, especially not Harry. He ran his fingers through his hair again staring into the crisp morning sky.

"I'm not quite sure, to be honest" He stated squeezing cool fragments of snow between his slightly numb fingers," I know we may have not been closest of friends but something felt very odd for a while I don't know if you, um, this is embarrassing.."

It may not have been much, in fact, it was hardly anything at all. But it made her swoon over the handsome boy. She felt a strange warm shiver run down her spine as he flushed pink. As her heart crashed against her rib cage she felt as if the tiniest bit of hope she had held onto had finally paid off. It was like she had planted a thousand seeds now one was finally started to flourish.

"It's not" She chocked out causing his head to snap up,"It's fine, uh... Good" She was at loss for words, unable to comprehend. Her heart fluttered as he bit his lip trying to hide his smile.

"You're a pretty cool girl, Avery" he said getting up and wiping the snow off his numb hands onto the fabric of his jeans and black T-shirt, "We should meet up after this, you know, we have catching up to do" 

"That sounds nice." She sipped her coffee nonchalantly. She felt herself smiling into her mug, looking at her dazed happy face in the refection of the cool brown liquid. It felt fake to her. Almost to good to be true. But it was real and it was happening.

"It's far too cold for me but I'll catch up with you later, ok? Just call me if you need me."

"Alright" She said as she watched him push himself off the wall of the cabin.

"Goodbye, Avery"

"Goodbye, Harry" She whispered to herself as the tall muscular boy strode around the corner.

She sat there for a while, just watching nature play out in front of her. Gripping on to her cold coffee as she thought about how it was getting better, easier. And how the boy she admired, cared for, loved, was finally starting to notice that, she did, in fact, exist. And it was one of the best things she had felt for a long time.

-   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -

 Her dainty feet brushed against the old worn-out rug as she tip-toed across the room. With each sight step she took an hushed cry escaped from the old floorboards below her. The tips of her fingers glided against the old-fashioned wallpaper, collecting dust and withholding her balance. She placed the heavy winter coat on the end of be bed before silently peeling back the discoloured duvet from the bed and hiding herself under the covers. The only thing she could hear for a while was her deep breathing and soft snores pursuing from the bed across from her own. She pulled the covers over her nose, accidentally inhaling in the unpleasant sent of sweat and smoke. She tucked her legs up into her chest and closed her eyes letting her body sink into the mattress.

-   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   

"Avery?" A  quiet groan called from the other bed.

"Yes?" She whispered, opening her eyes to see her disheveled best friend laying awkwardly. Her limbs hung off the edge of the bed and dark hair sticking up in all sorts of directions. She snickered slightly at the mess playing out in front of her, biting her lip to stop the endless fit of giggles from erupting out of her.

"Why the hell are you awake? It's like 3am!" She exclaimed hazily, rubbing her eyes and kicking the duvet off her sweltering feet.

"It's 10, Casy." 

"Whatever." She groaned rolling about in her pre-owned bed, her body throbbing in the lack of comfort the not so new bed gave to her. Giving up on her attempt for relaxation, she lay on her back staring and the mucky ceiling, "Where did you go? Y'know earlier?"

"Nowhere" She said furrowing her brows. She was a terrible liar and she knew it. She felt Casy's bright eyes burn into her skin as she deciphered whether the brunette was telling the truth. She silently prayed for once in her life that she would get away with it and not be caught out, but alas not everything that you wish for comes true.

"You'd make a terrible actor" Casy snorted sussing out her facade,"You basically fell out your bed earlier. I'm suprised no one else heard you."

Avery rolled onto her back and sighed taking in the same distasteful, grotty ceiling. "I just went to sit outside for a while, I couldn't sleep."

------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry I didn't post anything for a while, guess I just lost my inspiration. Oppsss. Well I don't really know weather to continue with this or just start something new but I hope you like it :)