Dear Grandpa

Dear Grandpa

By Dillon Collins

     Dear grandpa, I'm writing this letter to you because we never really talked much... Oh sure, I saw you once in awhile growing up, those family vacations every few years, but I think I was too young and stupid to really appreciate the wisdom you could have shared with me had I been smart enough to ask. I mean, it's obvious you really loved my Grandma; even though she was your second wife, and perhaps even more, being as you were her second Husband. It's obvious to me in my later years that you were a hardcore working dude. That must have killed you (no pun intended) having to just sit there and watch TV, because your arthritis was so bad. In all reality you probably thought it was a blessing when you died, dementia has got to be awfully hard, I can only imagine... Then again, it also seems an unfair curse that I'm just now realizing the things i could have learned from you. It brings to mind rainbows fading and leaves falling and the bleak darkness of an Alaskan winter. I know it's kinda crazy, but you're the first person I can think of in my life and my family that I care about, who's died. I don't know how to feel, it’s been seven days since my Mom told me you died. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I love you, and you will be missed. Thank you Grandpa.