Ch. 21 - Familiar faces - pt. 1

So... I realise it's a little late but that's because just before I wanted to update this Sunday, I decided to change the entire chapter and thereby how my entire story is going to evolve. So I had to put in some changes. Sorry 😢

Nonetheless... Enjoy!

Chapter 21 - FamiliarFaces - part 1

June of the Shadowwolves

My paws thud against the moist ground and my backpack is secured between my teeth. We're travelling again. I've walked these same woods before, only back then I was going the other way. I never would've dreamed of voluntarily returning to the place I was held captured for eighteen years. And in any other given situation I would have never even thought of returning, but there is someone special who I need to help.

A whole lot more someones actually. All my male friends are held prisoner. Adam, Jonathan, Steve, Jace, Tommy, Marlin, Tomas... and a couple of others I don't know personally. They have all helped me in their own ways and now I want to return the favour.

There is five of us now. But there is another unit travelling with us to show us where they've seen the woman and where the river is supposed to be. I look around to see if we're making a wrong turn anywhere, but up until now I haven't seen any strange surroundings. Then again, I've only walked these woods once before. So what would I know?

At one point I notice a cave to my left and know we're going the right way. I remember taking shelter there because of the thunderstorm and Alana injuring her paw when I escaped from Blood Hounds. We had waited for maybe half an hour before deciding it was too risky to stay so close to the territory for too long.

At that point they hadn't noticed we were missing yet. But it didn't take them long after, their warning howls had given me the goose bumps and caused me and the others to run even faster.

During our escape I wouldn't leave Alana's side; Steve and Jonathan were complete strangers still and though Alana obviously trusted them, I couldn't bring myself to do the same.

I fall a little behind the group because I'm reliving the escape from months ago - but I know I'll be able to catch up to them easily. And I briefly think about seeing my uncle again. Odds are we encounter him at some point. What will he say? Will he be mad at me? Will he lock me up again?

I don't want to be locked away again, I like my freedom and I like to be with Adam. 'I'm almost there, Adam. Hold on just a little longer,' I can't help but mindlink him, again. Where I had first given up on our mental bond, I find courage and hope again. Maybe because I know he's not so far away anymore.

'Don't rush yourself, Rue. We're safe.' I blink a couple of times and have to make a sharp turn to my right so I won't crash into the tree in front of me. Did I hear correctly?

'Adam?' I reach out to him. 'Adam, can you hear me?' But there's no reply. So do I dare to trust that I did hear him? Do I dare to believe that he's safe? Can I even take that risk? What if I believe he's fine and don't rush, only to find we're too late because I believed he was fine?