Prologue

The accident was tragic. Fatal, even. Few survivors. Hundreds dead. A nation in chaos. And it was all caused by one person, Marcus Gray, CEO of Gray Industries. But would the authorities listen when his employee, Arthur Fisk, reported him? Of course not. A respectable man such as Gray couldn't possibly commit such a crime. Fisk, however, was a social nobody. He was one of the five people who survived the crash on the flight from London to Chicago. He recognized the materials used to sabotage the plane. He also scanned through security tapes and found a recording of Gray attaching explosives to the wheels. Did he get credit for his discovery? No. He got tossed in the slammer. Illegal access of federal recordings, accusing the greatest man in town, resisting arrest. Only MacGyver could get away with doing all that.

After three years in jail and a hefty four thousand dollar fee, Arthur was released; but no one knew. He rented an apartment--his home had been sold as a homeless shelter--and never went outside. Thus, no one knew of his return. Well, aside from me. I knew.

Arthur and I had been friends for many years. We both worked for Gray, which is how we met.

Oh, my apologies, I'm Karla.

Anyway, we really became close. We even started dating. But after the accident, I believed Gray more than I believed Arthur. I had no reason to believe Marcus would do that. Even if I slightly believed in Arthur's story, I couldn't defend him. I couldn't say confidently that he was telling the truth. So in a sense, it's my fault he ended up in jail. But at least he's alive.

As you can imagine, that really added a cold feel to our relationship. Visits were few and  awkward. When he got released, there was no reunion. No tears of joy. Just avoidance.

But that all changed one day. I'll tell you what happened, but from an outsider's perspective. If I told you what it was like for me alone, you wouldn't understand. So, here goes.