Chapter 4: Stupid Young People

Niall felt guilty and pulled his hand away from Clara’s. How could he keep lying to her like this? He knew any promises they made here would unravel when the truth was revealed. He should just tell her everything now. He couldn’t keep hiding who he was.

“Neal, are you okay?” Clara called out. “Did I do something to upset you?”

“Never,” Niall softly replied. “You could never upset me.”

“Then what is wrong?”

“How important was that pub job to you?”

“Well it was the only decent job for ages. And I think word got out from the owner because not even the strip clubs will hire me as a cocktail waitress. I don’t have very many skills after all.”

“What skills do you have?” Niall asked.

“Is this an interview or something?” Clara chuckled. “You are so weird Neal.”

“It is an interview. Remember my friend Mar?” Clara wrinkled her brow in confusion. He couldn’t be serious could he?

“The one that dates Lewis?”

“Yeah,” Niall cleared his throat. “That one. She’s a real cool girl, but doing publicity for our band is a lot of work.”

“So you guys are famous?” Niall winced.

“We just have a lot of work for her. I know she could use an assistant. Have you ever done any public relations work?”

“No. I—I don’t know any of that kind of work.” Niall frowned. He was supposed to fix it by giving her a job. That way when she discovered he was from One Direction she wouldn’t be mad because she had a job.

“What do you know how to do?” Clara bit her lip unsure if she wanted to answer that question. She had an answer to that very question, but it was embarrassing. And it was all her Grandmother’s fault. “Clara you had to learn how to do something. What is it?”

“Tobeawife,” Clara spit out quickly hoping he hadn’t heard her.

“To be a what?"

“A wife okay?” She curled up against the side of the lift holding herself. God, this was embarrassing.

“You know how to be a wi—“ Niall choked unable to finish the word. Where the hell did someone learn something like that?

“Yes,” Clara ground out. “I only really know how to be a wife. Grandmother Penny is from another era. She taught me all this stupid stuff like embroidery, darning socks, and how to cook a pot roast. She told me I had to work hard to find a good husband of substance. That I must rely on my husband to take care of me and our future children.” She covered her face mortified that she had even said it. Clara prided herself on being independent, but she knew that independence was inconsistent when it came to her. The few serving jobs she had managed to get she was meek and unable to state her case. Her last boss at the pub had pitied her for her meek demeanor and give her a chance she hadn’t really earned. That was probably why he had found it so easy to fire her when he had received a complaint. It’s not like Clara protested the firing or fought for her job. The only time she ever got riled up was when she felt helpless like being trapped in this damn lift.  “Neal are you still there?"

“Do you want to be a wife?” Clara was quiet thinking about it. Did she want that life for herself. She had always been so mortified to have no skills that she had never asked herself what she wanted. She imagined a small home with kids and animals running wild while she gathered them close getting things done for the day. She closed her eyes as she pictured the door opening and her husband arriving home walking over to her and kissing her gently. When he pulled back she saw his muscled arms, blonde dyed hair, and callus covered fingers.