Part 1

Taking a sip of his whiskey, Brendon raised his eyebrow to the man sitting in front of him.

“I don’t believe you called me here for a drink, Carl…”

“I didn’t; but it’s always good to start business with a drink, I say.”

“Business?” Brendon smiled. “Coming from you, it’s almost an honor.”

“Now, now, Brendon, don’t start flattering me. The job is already yours, if you’re willing to take it.”

“I will take it,” Brendon drank from his glass again. “Where do I sign?”

“I haven’t even told you anything about th–”

“Doesn’t matter. I’ll take it. I need money to pay my… living expenses.”

Carl couldn’t hold back a sarcastic laugh. “I’ve heard people calling ‘drinking, gambling and hookers’ a lot of things, but it’s the first time I hear someone calling them ‘living expenses’!”

“I can’t live without any of them, therefore, I count them as living expenses,” Brendon raised his glass, in a silent toast.

“Good to see you so available,” Carl continued. “May I start telling you about the job?”

“I’m at your service.”

Carl took a file from the small glass table between him and Brendon. He opened it, examining the papers inside. “You know Theo Lightman, don’t you?”

Brendon nodded; of course he did. Everyone in the country knew Theo Lightman. He was simply the most popular liberal politician in America and the one most likely to be elected president in the following spring.

“His committee has gotten in touch with protective services for his family members last night,” Carl continued. “Lightman required a security staff for the whole family.”

“He doesn’t really have a very large family, does he?” Brendon passed his fingers through his brown hair. “No missus, right?”

“His wife died years back, but he has three children.”

“Damn,” Brendon frowned; he hated children, and he knew his job would involve them.

“As you might have guessed, you will be part of the security staff of Lightman’s children,” Carl added. “I have contacted the security agency and arranged for you to be included. We need you there.”

“Now it would be a great time for you to tell me why the NSA needs someone near the Lightman children.”

“Because we have good reasons to believe at least one of them is being threatened by the Mafia. Do you remember Donald Tucker?”

Brendon groaned; Tucker was one of the wealthiest men in the country, a big Mafia boss and a link to International Mafia. However, there was never a trace of proof consistent enough to take him to court.

“What about that son of a bitch?”

“It isn’t much, as usual, but we were able to trace an email that might have been from him or his men. It says – ‘It’s the turn of the man of light, send someone over to celebrate with him, send his girl my love.’”

“Girl?”

“Might be one of his daughters; we’re lucky to have caught this one. Now we have to know what the link is.”

“You think Lightman made business with their kind?”

“I don’t know; possibly... It’d be a pity, though, but I’ve lost my faith in humanity a long time ago.”

“Alright. So I will have to keep an eye on his children as I find out the link between Lightman and Tucker?”

“I love it when you read my mind, Brendon.”

“I hate children, you know.”

“There will be a staff with you, leave the young children to them.”

“Aren’t they all young brats?”

“Just the two youngest. Twins, a boy and a girl aged six; their names are Kevin and Katherine.” He showed Brendon two photos taken from the file: two beautiful young children, a boy and a girl, smiling.

“And the other one?”

Carl took a third picture and showed him, with a triumphant look; Brendon put down his glass and smiled as he saw the picture of a beautiful young woman with long auburn hair, thick and well-drawn eyebrows contrasting her greenish eyes, and pouty lips.

“Eleanor Lightman,” he introduced. “His twenty year old daughter.”

“Carl, you bastard, I love you.” Brendon took the picture with a naughty sparkle in his dark eyes. “Who would have guessed old Lightman had such a beauty as his daughter?”

“She is not a very public figure; I doubt many people have ever seen her.”

“Not surprised. Lightman doesn’t want the world to see this treasure.”

“Anyway, your job will be to keep them safe and get the information we need.” Carl sat back and lightened his cigarette. “Maybe this time we can catch Tucker and send the rat to jail for the rest of his miserable life.”

“Nothing would make me happier,” Brendon smiled, putting down the picture with a carelessly move and finishing his drink. “When do I start?”

“I’m afraid you must go right now.”