Davie

"And so you claim that your name is 'Alfred Jones'... true or false?".

"True" Alfred nodded miserably, his wrists in chains as his head hung low in embarrassment. This must have been the hundredth question they had asked him now. What would his Ma say if she could see him like this? He had always in a proud soul and he never felt as shamed as this before. As the guards had wrestled him to the oaken court room, people had stared and whispered – as if he were some sort of atrocious monster. His clothes had been pulled at and his glasses had been smashed under foot, but the thing that stung the most was that his precious satchel had been smashed away. Tears pricked his eyes as he realised he may never know what was in the leather bag, what his mother had instructed to open at the third sunrise.

"And you ... are a citizen of the diamond kingdom. True or false?".

Shaking his head, he simply wanted to bring his knees to his chest and sob, cry as hard as like he did when he was still a child. "False... I'm not a registered citizen of any kingdom..". Raising an eyebrow, the old judge peered over his papers. "Not of any kingdom?". "No" Alfred shook his head again, choking back the tears, "My mother was a freed slave and I have only met my father a couple of times". The word 'gyspy' echoed around the court as people whispered and hissed their theories. Alfred winced at every poisoned word he heard. Why were they so cruel? Ah no, he remembered – it was because they were scared... and people like to create stories to comfort themselves in times of uncertainty.

The judge leant towards the shorter man on his right and whispered something. The other man nodded, his dark eyes never leaving Alfred's form once. They discussed in sharp whispers for an uncomfortable length. Alfred squirmed as he felt the crowd's piercing glares hitting his back like icey daggers. Abruptly, the shorter man gave a quick nod and scurried away, his polished shoes tapping the wooden floor as he marched.

The high chair creaking softly as he relaxed, the judge turned back to his quivering subject. Scratching his snowy stubble, he narrowed his wrinkled eyes as he looked over the boy. He couldn't place a finger on it, but there was something disturbingly familiar about him. From those broad working shoulders, strong physique and tall build to those sparkling blue eyes – something... something about the boy haunted him, as if they had met in another life.

As he opened his mouth to speak, the clerk came scurrying back, placing the elder scrolls before him. Murmuring a thanks, Davie fingered the old papers till he found what he was looking for. Nodding, a gentle smile spread on his lips as he stood. "Alfred?". Said Alfred lifted his tear-stained face in fear. Davie held his hands behind his back and walked down to the ground level, kneeling beside Alfred and resting a hand on his shoulder. "It's alright child, I'm not going to hurt you" Davie smiled as he lowered his voice to a mere whisper, "I simply need to speak with you in private".

Alfred jumped, his hands still in the chains as Davie locked the heavy door behind them. Glancing around quickly, Alfred reckoned he was a stock room of some sort as of the high shelves filled with musty books and ancient scrolls. "I suppose you think... that we're going to kill you" Davie stated as he lowered himself gently into a red-leather armchair, crossing his hands over his knee and watching Alfred in interest. Alfred frowned and turned to face the old judge fearfully. "Aren't you?" he managed to keep his voice from stuttering in fear.

Chuckling, Davie shook his head and smiled up at the youth – oh how he reminded him of someone else. "No Alfred, the town's people may be fierce to outsiders – but they aren't savages and I do apologise for the rough treatment you have received. No, I am here to give you an offer... I can see you are a good man and not a master criminal or anything like that, because believe me – I've seen quite a few of those in my time". Alfred's eyebrow dared to lift as he listen to what he had to say. "An offer?" he repeated cautiously, "What kind of offer?".

Narrowing his eyes, Alfred took a few steps back, lifting his chained hands to his chest in a feeble excuse of protection. Davie laughed softly and stood up slowly, using his hand to push himself up. "Goodness boy, if think you I'm going to hurt you, then you really are mistaken. Do you think I'm fit for any type of combat at my age?". Realising that his behaviour could have been interpreted as somewhat violent, Alfred dropped his fists and dropped his head fractionally. "Ah, I'm sorry. I'm not thinking straight right now". Davie smiled and walked forward, resting a hand on Alfred's shoulder and smiling, his own faded blue eyes sparkling happily. "It's all right Jones. It's alright".