Chapter 6 - Plastic Chair

***

When my eyes slipped open, there wasn’t anyone around. The lack of voices and movements was the first thing I observed. No one sitting next to the bed, no one even in the room. No sound of voices outside the door, not even any light coming through the window.

It’s probably in the middle of the night.

I rolled sideways out of the bed, somehow landing steadily. Then I did a round check on my body. No wires, no injections, no nothing. Good. Just a hideous hospital gown. Ew.

I stumbled my way to the little bathroom connected to my room. Apparently I didn’t have a roommate, but there was another bed on the other side of the room from mine. It was empty.

Thankfully there was a mirror in the bathroom and I saw to my own surprise that I didn’t look that bad. I was expecting swollen, red faced me, but there was only a slight sign of swelling and no redness, though my lips were chapped and sore from the stretch after they had swelled.

The noise of a door opening and closing startled me and I leaned back from the mirror to look out the open door.

“Elise?” Someone called and when he entered my vision I almost panicked.

What the fuck is Harry doing in my hospital room in the middle of the night?

“Um. Yeah?” I responded, not leaving the bathroom. Even though the swelling wasn’t there, doesn’t mean I look presentable. Not in the slightest.

“You okay?” Harry asked from outside. He flicked the light on in the room and I cringed. Hell no.

“Yeah, ‘m fine.” I answered slowly. “Could you turn off the light again, though?”

There was a beat before Harry asked, “Why?”

I took another look in the mirror and then closed my eyes tight. “Because I look like shit and I feel like it too. Would you just- please?”

Two seconds passed and then the light was switched off again.

“Happy?” Harry sounded amused.

“Ecstatic.”

“Now come out.” He ordered.

“Go away first.”

“No, not happening.” He responded immediately. “I’m here on behalf of everyone. Promised Demi I’d watch out for you until the morning. At the least. I don’t even want to think about what she’ll do if I let you kick me out.” He laughed to himself. I dared a look out and I could make out his figure in the dark room. “Now come out here so you can lie in bed like a proper patient.”

I sighed, but did as I was told. The walk over to the bed felt awfully long when I knew that Harry’s eyes were following me. And when I settled under the thin hospital sheets, he made his way over to the bed.

“Move over.” He said quietly.

“What?” I looked up at him, propped up in the bed with my back against the headboard with a pillow to support me.

“You don’t expect me to sleep in a fucking chair that looks like it’s made out of plastic the entire night, do you?” He raised his eyebrows in question. “So move over, you sickling.”

“Hey,” I said offended, but moved over to the side of the bed. “no making fun of the patient.” Harry smiled and crawled in the bed after me. “Besides, it’s your fault I’m here anyway.”

“How’s that?!” He exclaimed, throwing the sheet over his lower half as he settled in beside me.

“You were the one that brought me that chocolate.” I said. “It probably had nuts in it, or whatever. I can’t eat nuts.”

Harry laughed at that, and I briefly wondered if I’d said something odd... or Harry’s thoughts were perverted, but no. (Even though his thoughts probably are perverted, something I don’t want to know about.)

“It wasn’t the chocolate, babe.” He laughed. “It was the Ibuprofen.” He muttered informingly.

“The what now?”

“Ibuprofen.” He repeated. “Apparently I bought that instead of Aspirin and you sort of had an allergic reaction to it and so, yeah...”

“Stupid. It’s still your fault, though.” I pointed a finger at him, scowling. “How long have I been out for?” I asked after a second.

“Don’t be dramatic. You had an allergic reaction. You’ve only slept, like, seven hours.” Harry rolled his eyes.

“I was just asking. Don’t have to be a bitch about it.” I muttered back. “And please don’t look at me right now.”

He laughed at that. Actually laughed at my misfortune.  Like the fact that I was in the hospital and nearly died was amusing. Well, I know someone who’s definitely not getting a birthday present now. Hmpfh.

“Turn over, then.” I was too tired to protest, so I rolled onto my side, head propped on the pillow and soon I felt Harry settle behind me, lifting the sheets over both of us. “Though, I don’t see the problem. You look okay.” He muttered as he shimmed around a bit, trying to figure out where to put his arms. He ended up with draping one around my waist over the sheets.

Too tired to remove it.

“Okay? Well, that made me feel better. Thanks.” I mumbled sarcastically.

“Alright, you look beautiful. Amazing. Fantastic. Extraordinary. Lovely. Like no one I’ve ever seen before. Like crazy pretty. Just absolutely, flabbergastingly, freaking, overly, fu-“

“Yeah, okay. Okay. Shut up. You’re not making it any better.” I cut him off and I could practically feel his smirk from behind me.

We fell silent after that. My eyes started to drop again, even though I just woke up after sleeping most of the day. I was about to fall asleep when Harry’s voice rumbled behind me, shivers sparking down my spine.

“Is... is your room okay?” He asked.

I kept my eyes closed, too tired to even blink them open. “Yeah. Why?”

He breathed out through his mouth, warm breath fanning over the back of my neck. “I had them move you from a shared room.” He mumbled, face nuzzling closer against my shoulder. “Are you gonna kick me out of the bed now?” He asked quietly, like he knew what my reaction would be.

“’m too tired.” A yawn escaped me. “I’ll be angry about that tomorrow.” I muttered. “Sleep now. Angry tomorrow.”

He breathed out a sigh of relief, the arm around my waist squeezing tighter. I was exhausted. I didn’t even want to think about anything right then. All that I cared about was sleep, that Harry was warm and he was a really, really good cuddler.

I vaguely remember Harry pressing a kiss to the back of my neck before finally drifting off.

****

AN.

I don’t know what this is, but there’s cuddling involved. And Harry. And a hospital. But you know what? Fuck it.

I know this is really short, and doesn’t really have any meaning to it, but I needed to update and some chapters have to just be fillers.  So this is definitely just a filler.

And I’m sorry about the slow updates, but I need to get a lot of things started in my life before I can jump back into my writing fully again. So yeah, it’s going to take some time...

But thanks for reading! I love all of you and especially if you’re reading this because that means you’re patient with me and that’s all I’m asking for right now. So thank you!

Remember to vote, comment and KEEP READING ‘cause this is not finished yet. Ahha!