My Life

England 1820 

My life         

Nash surprised me when he appeared at the crest of the hill in the middle of the path that I was walking home on. He was waving his arms above his head and calling for me to hurry. This could only mean that something was wrong. It surely couldn’t be because he wanted to walk me home, as he’d stopped willingly escorting me anywhere over a year ago.

Despite my brother’s motives for wanting me to hurry, I only slightly picked up my pace, my tired legs protesting anything quicker. I was too worn out. Helping Mama for the past few weeks with some of the chores she was in charge of at the Manor was taking its toll on my own small body. My leisurely stroll back to our cottage was something I always looked forward to. It’s the only solace I had, especially of late. On days such as today, when the air was warm and the breeze was just right, I normally took every advantage of my surroundings. Trust Nash to find a reason to make me hurry, although I wasn’t in a mind to do so.

I lightly touched the roughened surfaces of the low stone wall which lined the road beside me as I walked, longing to be able to sit down. Looking up, I focused on the fallen log I usually rested on. The rotting limb was my true motivation to want to walk faster. It was the perfect place to watch the sun sink down over the roof tops of the village beyond my family’s cottage, but Nash appearing at the crest, yet again, made me realize that I wasn’t going to be able to do that tonight.

“Payton, come quickly! Hurry, I need you!” At his insistent tone, my mind went to Mama, and I scolded myself for not thinking of her before. Was the babe giving her a hard time again? After all, she did leave early, claiming she needed to rest. I didn’t think anything else of it, until now. Mama’s leaving early meant that I could visit with Ashleigh.  Tired or not, I hadn’t seen her in a few days, and was happy to listen to her talk about her day.  I should have gone home, too.  Mama had me worried, at times, lately. With this thought, I had no choice, but to quicken my stride.

Reaching the top of the incline, I gasped when I spotted Nash bent over a lifeless form on the ground. Rushing to him, and looking down over his shoulder, I saw that the person lying helplessly at my brother’s feet was Charlie. I knelt down as Nash stood up, and with shaking hands I took Charlie’s in mine.

Charlie and Nash had become fast, close friends four years ago when Charlie moved into the village. I don’t know how they met, but since then, they were always together, along with William, Ashleigh’s brother, when he was home at the Manor.

I hadn’t seen Charlie much lately; not since he started working at the stables with my brother. Over the years, he had spent a lot of time with our family, so I knew him as well as one could know a person you ate your every meal with. He was a pleasant young man, not quite shy, but only speaking to me when he needed to. With his hand secured in mine, I looked over our friend in disbelief.

“Payt, stay here with Charlie. I can’t carry him anymore. He passed out again right before we reached the top here. I need to get Papa. I’ve already been waiting too long for someone to come by. I couldn’t just leave him.”  

“Alright, go! Hurry, he doesn’t look too good.” I said under my breath to my brother’s back, as Nash started to race down the hill to our little cottage.