★ Chapter 2 ★

There was a part of me that had always wanted to be invisible. It was that voice in the back of my mind that urged me to run from confrontations, cower under my bedsheets- anything to escape scrutiny. At this moment, that voice was in a frenzy.

"We, uh, have to get going." I needed to leave before my heart could break any more than it already had. I clumsily grasped for Trissa's hand, pulling her with me. Only she didn't budge.

"Oh my gosh, you're Jessica Staley." Her words slipped and collided into one another, jumbled in all the excitement. Jessica smiled brightly while fixing the strap on her sundress. "I can't believe it. You're the Jessica Staley."

Of course Trissa had to choose the most inconvenient time to fangirl. While I was more used to her antics than I'd care to admit, I was hoping she might at least notice the urgency in my need to escape. In all honesty, she was probably too starstruck to have noticed a meteor crashing to the earth beside her.

"That would be me." The girl's voice was like a waterfall on a hot day. In fact, everything about her was perfect. She was just so elegant; straight brown hair flowed loosely onto her white sundress, which contrasted her smooth dark skin perfectly. Deep brown eyes smiled at the way Trissa was bouncing about. This was the sort of girl that deserved a guy like Danny. Jeez, no wonder he had replaced me with her.

The thought of being replaced made the pain start all over again, a fire coursing through me. The day was already ruined. At this point, I just wanted to head home. With or without Trissa.

I managed the best smile I could without breaking. "Nice to see everyone again." I nodded at Whitney. "Though I really should be going." With that, I turned and left the group of people, disappearing into the forming crowd.

If only I could say that was the end of my horrendous experience. If only I could say I had successfully made it home, stuffing my face with as many cartons of ice cream as my heart desired. If only Trissa wasn't so persistent.

"Come on, Cas. We just got here." Tris locked onto me with a grip of steel, dragging me back towards the direction I had come from. I planted my heels into the ground in an attempt to protest, to no avail. She was just too strong.

"But the mood's been ruined." I huffed, still trying to wriggle my way out of her grip. "Can't I just go home?"

Trissa shook her head. "We're here to have fun. To live life to the fullest!" She fist-pumped the air, tugging at my arm even harder. "No one is going to stand between us and having a good time."

I was forced to stand for a few hours as dozens of indie musicians played mere feet away from me. I couldn't have been fortunate enough to escape, seeing as how Tris never took her eyes off of me. Despite bonding with her apparent idol, she made time to make sure I was, quote, "making the best of my youth."

Paul and Whitney decided to pull a vanishing act somewhere in the first set, practically leaving me alone with Danny. Regardless of the upbeat mood of everyone around us, the tension in the air was nearly unbearable.

"How've you been?" Danny asked as the stars began to emerge in the sky. I turned to make sure that he wasn't speaking to someone else. Once I realized I was the only person in the immediate vicinity, my heart was sent into fast forward.

I stared at him, my mouth hanging open from shock. I had thought there was some unspoken agreement between us to keep us from talking to one another. "I, um..." It's like all my words were getting stuck in my throat. Heck, I'm surprised I didn't begin choking. "I've been fine."

Danny nodded before turning back to the stage. Ugh, why was this happening? I wasn't the same naïve girl that held on to the belief that we'd end up together. I was about to get my degree. I didn't need a relationship with anyone at the moment. And yet, just the sight of Danny- with his girlfriend, I might add- was enough to give me a small flicker of something resembling hope.