Chapter Two

Chapter Two

*

"So, it's true then," A woman's voice spoke up, slightly cracking as she uttered the next two words, "He's back."

A brewing kettle clicked from the corner, and a figure quickly hurried over to it.

"Aye, it is true," Was the solemn reply.

The skies outside were gloomy. Grey clouds spread over the city as if displaying their discontent. The kitchen itself seemed a dark place, the only source of light coming from the small fireplace planted in the middle of the painted wall. The flowery blue curtains were drawn shut, like there was something to hide. A wooden table was set out in the large, tidy rectangular room, with six chairs placed around it. Only three of the seats were occupied.

The woman, who had scurried to pour water from the kettle into three cups, was small in height. Her messy dark hair was scrunched up into an up-do of a sort, but a long strand of her hair fell over her stormy grey eyes. Her skin was fair and smooth, but years of living had taken toll in her face as faint aging lines appeared on her forehead. There were also laughter lines in the corner of her lips and eyes, both of which at the present moment looked sad. Two men accompanied her. One of whom was sat down, a folded news paper at hand. He, much like the small woman, carried a youthful and sturdy physique in appearance but at closer inspection, hints of turmoil and age had created their imprint on his otherwise handsome face. There was a knowing look in his eyes which always held an intense gaze, the brilliant green remained quietly observant. Like he could see right through you.

Unlike his wife, who hadn't stopped fidgeting and moving to keep herself occupied throughout the entire evening, he hadn't uttered a single word. He lifted a hand to his face as if contemplating what would be the right thing to say.

"Have they decided how to act upon it?" He finally spoke, his voice holding a strained but firm tone.

"They say they have," The third man replied, his eyes locking with the fair-haired man's momentarily, "But I think they're just as shell-shocked as the rest of us."

Unlike the other two he was an authoritative figure, from his stance to his clothes. He was old and yet, strength radiated from him. Age had not affected him so much, if at all. In fact, I doubt it had ever affected much for him as his vigor remained as strong as it had in his younger years. His face was screwed up as if he was in deep thought, his eyes shifting every now and again from the couple sitting before him to the window.

The woman returned to the table, placing the two steaming cups on the table and retrieving the third to hand to the standing man. The tea, however, was the last of their priorities as they paid no heed to it but the two men still made sure to smile gratefully. She sat down opposite to her husband, tucking the loose strand of hair behind her ears. Her eyes fell to him and turned soft.

"We need to tell the kids," Her voice was gentle, "We need to get them out of here. It's not safe anymore."

"Nonsense, Lisa," Her husband said, wincing slightly, "We are safer here than anywhere else. Where do you suggest we go? Flee to the forest for the comforts that await us there? I hear that the Satyr are very welcoming to their visitors."

"I didn't mean -," She replied back, exhaustion washing over her face, "I only meant that there may be somewhere we could go to keep us safe for a while longer. Give us more time. My mother lives beside the sea, at the far edge. The city will be one of the first places they will choose to attack and you know it. I just don't want any harm coming to our children."

Tears filled her eyes as she spoke and whatever irritation her previous words had caused her husband seemed to fade away quickly. He reached for her hand, a grim expression on his face.