Prologue

An old man was running through the streets at night. The lanterns have already burned out and not a single soul was out; except for the both of them. The bounty huntress allowed herself to smile. Foolish old man, she thought as she leaped from one roof to another without making a single noise as she followed him. The old man was clutching a pouch of some sort close to his chest as if it was going to disappear soon. He stopped at a dead end in an alley, catching his breath.

          The bounty huntress readies her gun and lies down on her stomach on a roof beside the chimney of a house a few meters away from where her target stood; making sure that she wouldn’t be seen by her target or anyone else. Her target was oblivious. She aimed and fired.

          The bullet was lodged on the centre of his chest and went out through his back.

          Point blank.

          Flustered stray cats hissed and ran away from the alley. The bounty huntress walked towards her target that was now looking at the sky with brown, lifeless eyes and an emotionless face. She took the pouch and looked inside. There were coins and various jewelleries. She shrugged and left the scene.

          She walked down the streets as if she owned the town. Nearing the edge of the town, she made a left where inns and bars were lively and curses were shouted. Ah, the slums of Karsan, she told herself as passed through the alley and entered a small tavern. She pushed aside a ragged cloth which served as the door. As expected, the whole tavern was filled with drunken men and slutty women. The smell of vomit and colourful words filled the air.

          She approached a table with men playing a game of cards. A man was boastfully laughing as he took his money from the lost players. “That’s it! I’m done,” one of them scoffed.

          The man with a pouch full of money looked at her. “Is it done?” he asked her. She took out the old man’s pouch as evidence. The man laughed, exposing his rotting teeth. He tried to grab the pouch but she quickly jerked it out of the way. The man looked confused. “My money,” she softly demanded. The man stretched out his arms.

          “Sorry, I got none.” He lied.

          “Well, this is going to be a rewarding payment.” She strapped the pouch onto her leather belt and concealed it under her tailcoat; then headed for the exit.

          “Hey, that’s my money!” the man protested. She sharply turned around, whipping her blonde ponytail into his face. “It is, if you pay.”

          “Look. I don’t have any money, okay? I’ll pay you soon.” He held out his hand as if he will receive something.

          “My money. Now,” she said demandingly.

          “Why? Cause yer Euphemia Wilde, eh?” He took out a dagger from his coat and pointed the tip at her. Now the whole tavern’s attention was focused on them. She calculated the situation. As much as she wanted to do something exhilarating today, she can’t. By the time she’ll bring him down, everybody will join in. That would be chaotic and it could ruin her reputation.

          She stepped on a table, ignoring what’s on it. Everybody watched as she jumped up and hung onto a beam in the ceiling. “I’m sorry. A deal’s a deal,” she teasingly said as she dropped a few smoke pellets. The man cursed loudly.

          Euphemia made her exit through a hole in the roof. Opening a portal emitting dark energy, she simply went inside and was teleported back home.