Nikolai - Prologue

Nikolai had a brother, Aleksander.

Nikolai was life loving, fascinated by the bloody cuts that would mar his skin after tumbling around. Fascinated by the blades of grass, the little ladybird. The rush of adrenaline when he ran from the baker’s dog, who barked with bloodcurdling ferociousness. He would rip him limb from limb, fleshy red stains on his muzzle. It was all so fascinating.

Aleksander was the object of their parents love are fear. He was sickly, white taut skin, weak movements and hearty coughs that drained his energy.  He was afraid of surprise, liked routine and plans. Logically thought through every moment of the day, which his parents complied with. They found Nikolai’s impulsiveness, loud animated speech and flailing limbs exasperating, though his beautiful shining eyes, filled with joy and energy, mesmerising.

Nikolai was the older brother by two years; he loved his brother in such a heavy way that he had tunnel vision. He refused to see wrong in Aleksander, though Aleksander was weary and envious of his brother’s love for life and health. Aleksander looked at his brother with resentment for his carelessness, his lack of concern, though he loved him. He loved him heavily, almost equal to that of what his brother felt for him.

In Aleksander’s adolescence, he became slightly better. Enough to go horse riding, apple picking, dancing. He did, he felt happy, a little light staining his grey eyes. He and his brother were handsome; Nikolai the charming, smiling, jumpy brother with a kindness that wooed the weak hearted women. Aleksander was the soft spoken secret, who had spent most of his childhood in his bedroom, was now an aloof, elegant boy who walked with such calculated steps that left women in awe.

Nikolai and Aleksander Grestov were at the hearts of the small town they inhabited. Ten years later, that town was black ash.