Chapter 4

**Jemma's POV**

I wake up the next morning in a soft, warm bed without any clear idea of how I got here. As I stretch and begin to wake up, I vaguely remember Fred leading me upstairs, climbing through a hole in a wall, then stumbling up some stairs by myself, getting into my pajamas and... That's it. I look around at the other girls. The dark-skinned girl is lying in the bed next to me and on the other side of her is a pretty girl with shoulder length dark brown hair. There are two other girls, but their heads are hidden by their quilts. I look out the window. It's not sunrise yet.

I leap out of bed and silently dress into jeans and a hooded jumper. Carrying my shoes, I slip out of the door and down to the common room. I pull my shoes on and push the door open. When I close it I realise I didn't go crazy! The door is covered by a large portrait of a fat lady in a pink dress.

I stop and look around. There's a staircase leading up on my left and two that lead down on my right and in front of me. I guess that the best way to get outside would be to head down, so I chose the stair in front of me.

I keep heading down and - miraculously- end up in the entrance hall. I push the heavy oak doors open and breath in the clear, fresh air. I look out over the grounds and see a hut at the edge of the huge forest. I vaguely remember Dumbledore saying something about the forest... It can't be important! I notice someone outside the hut and begin walking down there, watching him curiously. Once I get close enough I realise it's the huge man from last night.

"Hello," I say. He jumps slightly and looks around.

"Oh, 'ello," his face crinkles into a friendly smile.

"I'm Jemma," I say, trying not to feel shy.

"Hagrid," he says, "what're you doin' up so early? Most o' the student don't get up until seven, at least."

"I'm an early riser," I shrug, "back home I lived on a farm. I was up with the animals at all hours of the day and night."

"Like animals do yeh?" Hagrid smiles again, "I'm the Care o' Magical Creatures teacher."

"Oh, I can't wait!" I tell him earnestly, "we didn't have this class back home. We only learnt to care for sheep, horses, cows, that sort of thing."

"What year you in?"

"Sixth."

"Ah," a twinkle appears in his eye, "we'll be lookin' at something spectacular today."

"Really?" I ask, leaning forward, "what?"

"Jus' you wait 'n' see," Hagrid chuckles, "you'd best be off. Need to be in uniform, yeh do."

"Alright, nice meeting you, Hagrid!" I call, running back up to the castle. By the time I reach the steps I'm out of breath, so I stop and sit down, watching the sun rise over the tops of the mountains. When my breathing has slowed -and the sun is up- I begin trying to find my way back to the Gryffindor dormitories.

It takes me about ten minutes to realise I'm lost. What gave it away? I went up three floors and ended up in the dungeons.

"Are you meant to be here?" Draco asks, coming out from around a corner.

"I'm lost," I tell him honestly. He smiles. Not a sneer, an actual smile. It makes him look a lot younger.

"You don't know where the Gryffindor dormitories are, do you?" I ask him.

"No, sorry," he says with a shake of his head. I shrug.

"Thanks anyway," I say, turning away.