Prologue

14 years ago

Please, not my daughter. Not now. Not here. I knew they would find us. I just didn't expect it to be so soon. Annie's little frail body sat combing her chocolate hair oblivious to the danger that surrounded us. I peered through the window, dark figures manifested within the forest. They had found us, the veil that kept us hidden for so long had withered away.

"Sweetie, come here." Annie leaped from her seat, skipping her way towards me. Her big blue eyes smiled and stared at me intently.

"Look, honey I need you to listen to me, it's very important that you do." Annie looked at me curiously and tilted her head to the side.

"You're a special little girl. Most girls aren't like you sweetie. You are able to see things others can't. You are able to do things, beautiful things but also very bad things. When the moonlight enters your skin on the night of your eighteenth birthday, you will be awakened. When that happens, people will come looking for you, you can't let them find you. They're dangerous people. Don't trust anyone, especially The King of Corvidae."

"He made daddy disappear?" she asked.

"Yes hun, he made daddy disappear. If The King finds you, he'll make you into something you're not. He will manipulate you and use you for his Kingdom."

"Mommy, why are you crying?" Annie's little finger caught my falling tear.

Annabelle Rosaline Ross, my daughter. So shy, timid, and small. How could this happen to such an innocent child, my child. I cupped her face softly in my hands and murmured, "I love you. I want you to know that if anything happens, I will always be right here by your side." I took out Jonathan's family heirloom given to every first daughter, and placed it around her neck. The light reflected upon the simple green emerald gemstone necklace. So simple, yet so magical. "It's your father's. He would have loved for you to have this. Promise me you'll never take it off. Ever."

"It's so pretty..." Annie glanced at the necklace for less than a second, when hell broke loose.

Snarls echoed through the halls as footsteps pondered the bottom floor. I took Anne in my arms and sprinted to Jonathan's office. Bookshelves were lined up against the walls. A desk sat in the corner with scattered papers. Countless memories rushed into my mind. How could so many of them live in just one room? I let Annie down, leaning over to stare into her eyes. The whole house began to shake, I covered her protectively against my chest.

"Mommy?" Annie's eyes started to water.

"Listen sweetie, shh calm down. No matter what you hear, don't make a sound. Remember your favorite hiding place, back when daddy would play hide and go seek with you?" Annie nodded.

"How about we play hide and go seek right now? Hide, and close your eyes. Don't open them until I come get you." I stood and removed the ruby colored rug aside, exposing a secret compartment hidden under the floorboards. I placed Annie gently inside and tucked her in with her favorite yellow blanket. I kissed Annie on her forehead one last time. Taking a long last look at her made me remember the happy days when it was her and Jonathan by my side. Everything was so different now. Noticing her crying eyes and trembling body made my heart ache.

"Mom, hurry back okay?"

I gently caressed her arm, when heavy footsteps making their way up the stairs caught my attention. Threatening voices haunted the air with a distinct accent, and I instantly know, Shadows. I glanced away from the door and look back at Annie urgently.

"I love you." I kissed her cheek one last time, and placed a letter on her chest before shutting the floorboard closed.

I heard her sniffle as she said, "I love you too."

Hurriedly pulling the rug back into place, I turned just as the door exploded and three tall figures entered the room ready to pounce. Dark green cloaks covered their bodies, it's hood making their faces indistinguishable. As they sprung to attack, they left a black misty fog in their trace. They revealed sturdy swords covered in ancient writing and symbols, directed right at my heart. I moved out of the way and ran to the door. As fast as lightning, a man appeared right in front of me, blocking my path. He raised his head, revealing black sinister eyes accompanied by a malicious smile. A hideous scar ran along the left side of his face. He let out a war like scream, and lifted his sword. The sword penetrated my human chest. I stumbled back, falling to my knees. A bolt of pain sliced within me as a pool of blood spread spurting out of my heart. They won't find her, the knowledge of that filled me with satisfaction. Before closing my eyes a peaceful field a flowers appeared, Jonathan beckoned me to him. His dark brown hair was as messy as I remembered it to be. His sweet blue eyes looked into mine longingly. His tall strong build welcomed me into a warm embrace. Blissfully, I welcomed the darkness.