Chapter 7 - Una Traición

I knew Suzy had a night class and wouldn't get back until late. We had agreed to heat up frozen dinners, but I knew she wouldn't complain if I cooked something special for her. So I chopped up the peppers, tomatoes, and onions that I got from the supermarket. I fried some ground chicken and toasted flour tortillas, combining it all into my homemade burrito recipe. I set the table and poured her a glass of apple cider in a champagne glass since she couldn't drink.

I set the "I Love You" card by her plate on the table and watched her eyes light up when she came in the front door.

"Wow, this is nice!" she said. "What's this for?"

"It's just for you. Just for spending every day together," I said. "I just wanted to tell you how much I love you. I met someone at work who's made me think a lot about our future."

"Oh yeah? What do you mean?"

"I mean I know I've ticked you off sometimes. I know that my work has been crazy ever since I joined the call center. I know sometimes I get in trouble. I get mixed up. I try to be smart, but sometimes I end up doing something stupid. I just want you to know I am doing my best. I want you to have your dream. I want to be someone you and the baby can always believe in. I'm going to keep trying until I get it right."

Suzy kissed me and we went to the couch. At times like this, the irritation of everyday things evaporated. We got swept up in the romantic memories of the time when we first met and fell in love. We were both waiting tables at the same churrascaria restaurant in downtown Torrance, pushing around carts with giant slabs of meat to slice and carve for customers.

The manager at the restaurant was a miserable old guy, and I knew he was stealing Suzy's tips, taking advantage of the fact that she was from another country and had no way to fight back. As soon as we were dating, I started looking for another job. Anything that could get me out and provide enough security that she could also leave. As soon as I got hired at Passion, I was able to get an apartment, which had enough space for us to live together, and that way she wouldn't need to work to pay for rent.

I asked her to marry me, to quit the restaurant job, to stay with me, to follow her dream of becoming a teacher. I knew from my mother's experience how hard it could be here for a young woman from another country. I never ever wanted her to struggle the way my mother had. Our romance turned into engagement. Engagement turned into marriage. Now we were going from marriage to parenthood, a new adventure, a new level of responsibility. It was scary and exciting. But I felt like things were getting better at work, especially since Mauricio arrived. I felt like I was getting my momentum back. I believed this job could help provide the stability that had always been so elusive in my life.

Suzy and I spent a comforting night together. Then it was off to work again the next day. In the morning Lenny swung by my desk to give me the good news.

"Looks like this whole Cultural Outreach Program has helped you pull out of your slump, McCarthy," he said. "This guy Mauricio is a natural. Our collection rate with Hispanics is skyrocketing the past few weeks. You know you'll get some points for the money he's bringing in on top of what you're collecting with your own calls."

This was true. What Lenny didn't mention was that as our manager he'd get his cut as well. Every month Lenny would do his best to play me and Roland off against each other, encouraging a horse race between the two of us to see who could lead in calls and cash. Since we reported to him, Lenny would profit either way. If Roland and I were like two jockeys running neck and neck on the track, then Lenny ran the race track. And the house always wins no matter what.

That afternoon Gina and I went out to lunch at the Golden Peacock for the first time since the company meeting. I shared all the great experiences I'd had working with Mauricio. She was beaming as well. The whole Cultural Outreach Program came from her and it was widely viewed as a success by the management team.