Chapter 7

Ranger Prince Raleigh Andry

Traveling

I laid my hand across his head, feeling the scales slither underneath as he banked on the wind. Onyxark. Black as the darkness of the deepest caves. A fierce glint in his eyes. The history of my family states that one is bonded to a dragon who shares the same soul, same curiosity, same stubbornness or ferocity. So what does that make me? Emerask was gentler and compassionate like Felix. Ebonash is dark and terrifying just as father has been, however just as father is, there is more to him than that. The dragons adapt, just as their humans do. If Felix was ever to return, he would never be the same, and neither would Emerask. Azurean, graceful and peaceful as Aohlee had been, but since Lewis' death, I could almost bet that there is an anger hidden deep within with a great sadness. Scarlaze, a fighter he had been, clever and loyal, but since Jasper stepped into Felix's place, as since of leadership and majestic nature took them over. Then there was Alabost, quiet and reserved, hidden so far inside of herself just as Jocelyn has. A bitter cold has washed over Josie, and Alabost's temperament has reflected her human. She bites back with sharpness, but only when forced to do so.

My brothers and sisters know their dragons, inside and out, what makes them tick, as do I. Onyxark blends in to the darkness around him. He is unyielding in a fight, but grants mercy to those who deserve it. I never wanted to be a fighter, or a soldier or a ranger, but my life changed. My brother was taken, and we were all helpless to do anything. I wasn't going to make that same mistake again. My family, my friends, I am going to protect them.

He let out a soft cry and I could feel his blood coursing through my veins, the bond. He dipped from the sky in a swift motion. He was on to her. He knew her. She knew all the dragons, and they all knew her. It didn't matter how long she had been gone, just as we leave an impression on our dragons, she left an impression on us. Our dragons cannot hurt those we care about, and Felix's loyalty to her, made Emerask loyal to her, as well as the rest of them. Onyxark included. She was around them many times in the two years between her and Felix's betrothal and when he disappeared. Bonding with the dragons. I closed my eyes, focusing in on my dragon. "Find her." I stated, out loud. I sucked in a sharp breath, as he dropped farther from the sky in a nearly straight angle. He has her. He can feel her. He can smell her. He cried out, dropping to the ground, talons digging into the dirt. People scattered, terrified at the massive dragon. They were still afraid. Ebonash's attacks still haven't been forgotten, and neither has Hailvory's haunting eyes.

As the people cowered or ran, I could see it in their eyes. They knew who I am. How could they not know? Not everyone had a dragon. Just my family. I slid of his back, my boots hitting the gravel of the road, just across the Vrinian border. Onyxark gave another cry, louder and powerful. A horse in front of us reared, the rider hanging on. As the hooves returned to the ground, I saw Marina, mouth slightly agape in shock at the sight of the dragon. "Raleigh." She got off her horse, holding tight to the reigns and I walked over to her. "What are you doing here?"

"Something has happened that you are unaware of." I started to tell her, but I noticed out of the corner of my eye that the Vrinian people were starting to catch on. Slowly, one by one, they dropped to their knees. "Can't you feel it? Can you not see it?"

She glanced around, watching them, shaking her head slightly. "Now they know who I am." She looked back to me with a shrug, still puzzled at why I was there. "They know I am the princess."

"No, you are not." I shook my head, and she flinched back slightly. "They are not kneeling because you are their Princess. They are kneeling because you are their Queen."

I saw a flash of fear cross her face. "Dominic."

I sighed. "He has deserted his title." She froze, shaking slightly.