Chapter Four

Dear Stefan,

I wish to tell you I had a good day yesterday, but mother had me running around doing all of the activities the Titanic provides. It was fun, for the first couple of hours. I did activities I had not done since I child. For a moment I did feel happy. Then the activities became tedious. I grew tired and I wanted to go back to my suite and read. I wanted sometime for myself, but mother would not allow me.

 I fear mother feels me slipping from Thomas. All of the activities which I did, involved having Thomas and I act as a team. I am sorry to unload on you what's on my mind without asking first. I am also sorry for doing this two nights ago. But I rarely speak to people my age, besides Thomas, that is. 

But are you free tonight, Stefan? Will you be doing something? If not, could you meet me at the main deck at eight?

Be there,

Maggie.

SHE started down at her neat hand writing, contemplating whether to write another letter or stick with this one. She'd already written two prior to this. She was carefully choosing her words. She wanted to talk about her day, but not sound annoying. She wanted to unload her troubles but not feel like a burden. It was a weird type of balance which Margaret sought. But finally, she got up from her chair and sent the note to Stefan via a servant.

Margaret thanked the servant and went to lie on her bed. Mother, luckily didn't have any activities planned out for today. Margaret was looking forward for a day of peace and quiet all to herself. Yesterday had been odd, spending all that time with Thomas. And she realized, when she was finally alone at night, that she no longer had a real reason to do this anymore. Pappa seemed to be improving, his skin was brighter, his cough gone. 

And if Pappa was no longer sick, then Margaret didn't have to do this anymore. Her parents would be well if she didn't marry Thomas. They'd find a way to make it through. They wouldn't live on the streets as her mother claimed. No, they had relatives. They were smart and resourceful. Margaret felt she no longer had to do this. There was a small glint of hope in her bleak days, most of which was contributed to Stefan.

Speaking of, she'd had a dream with him yesterday. It had felt both odd but comforting. She had dreamed they had...kissed. They had danced out in the deck and they had held each other closely. Margaret had woken up with a smile on her face, no longer fearful but hopeful. She'd been brainstorming ideas as to how to break the news to Thomas.

Would she say, "Sorry, Thomas, I do not have real feelings for you anymore." Or would she be honest? Would she tell the truth? Would she, perhaps, say: "Sorry, Thomas. I never had feelings for you. But mother wanted us to marry because you would save of us from poverty." 

No. She had to say it in a way that didn't hurt him, at least not too much. She was going to ask Stefan for advice when she saw him. Stefan would know what to say. With a smile on her lips, Margaret grabbed her book, opened it and read, losing herself between the pages.

NIGHT fell quickly, leaving Margaret surprised. No one had bothered her today. No one had even as knocked on her door to check on her. For a moment she felt oddly suspicious, what if her mother was out there plotting something? What if the wheels were already in motion and they couldn't be stopped? She stopped herself, all of the what if's were doing nothing but giving her a headache.

Margaret put her book down and took a sip of water. Her mouth was dry, despite the lack of things she had done today. She wandered about the room, she had gotten her food delivered to her room, luckily. If her food hadn't been delivered, she would have been forced to leave the comfort of her suite. Everything looked different, but not because it was different but because Margaret was looking at everything through a new lens.