Rebellion: Chapter Six

Chapter Six

A wind rose in the south, in the high mountains of Agarta, to cross over the prairies of Elaech and leaving people chilled in its wake. Crops swayed as it blew past them; leaves fell from their uncertain grips on the trees. The wind bent on the tall, thick walls of Castle Enival, flying over to ruffle the hundreds of banners that stood tall around the city’s central square.

Dorad stood on the dais in the center of the square looking out at each of the banners in turn. The Red arrow of the Adenarons, rearing horses, the tiger’s head with bloody fangs of House Sivath, the serrated sword of House Meak, an overflowing chalice of House Olfri, his mother’s house, a closed, bloody eye of House Diveth; all banners belonging to his sworn lords.

Rohn stood at his side, beaming visibly with the pride of being a lord’s squire. Already, after only three days in Enival, the boy was looking infinitely stronger and healthier. His arms were thicker with newfound muscles ever since Sir Rhiliar had begun training the boy with heavy practice swords on the way home, though he had a fair share of bruises as well. However, he did not seem to notice those.

His new squire and his brother Danar had liked each other upon first sight, and since then had become fast friends. Now, the two ginger haired boys were seldom seen apart. Even at Dorad’s speech to his sworn lords, the two were rarely quiet, joking and trying to hide bursts of quiet laughter. These little outbursts of laughter, however, did nothing to distract those in the square from Dorad.

“Men of the Stony River,” Dorad began, his voice raised so that the multitude of people could hear him. “You all know that I’ve been away for the past three weeks, in Werach, on the summons of our good King Allard,” he said, snidely. Some men spat at the ground at the sound of the king’s name. “What you do not know is why I have been gone.

“Not long ago, when King Allard called his banners, men flocked to the north to meet him. From there they went on into Gallanuul, where they are valiantly fighting a fool’s war.” There was more spitting. The city will be flooded by the time I’m finished, at this rate, Dorad thought, chuckling. “To support this fool’s war, our fool of a king created a war tax that has put hundreds, even thousands of people in poverty. Men cannot earn enough money through their work, and so their families must starve. Women and children are swarming the streets, begging.” He paused dramatically. “Is this how a king should rule his people?”

“No!” came the answer, resounding all through the city and likely through all of Elaech.

“I thought not!” Dorad continued. “When the call went out to rally the warriors of Elaech to Allard’s banner, though, we sent as many soldiers as we could. Had we sent any more, we would have taken men away from their normal lives, from their farms and their work. That would have been detrimental, in times like these.” He looked to his right, to where Sir Byned, Sir Rhiliar, Sir Errin, and even Sir Fallan with his hurt leg stood listening. He received an approving nod from each of them.

“King Allard summoned me to Werach those weeks ago to complain on the small number of men that I had sent to fight and die for him. For most of three weeks I travelled, and for what? A single evening of listening to the King threaten me. When I told him of how my smallfolk were starving, he told me that if I didn’t bring more men he would feed me to the peasants!” There were gasps, stunned silences, and more spitting. “Well, I say we do bring more soldiers north. I will lead an army north, to be rid of this tyrant once and for all!”

As one, all the people raised their voices in a chorus of agreement. He let them shout for a long time, basking in the ear-splitting noise. When they finally quieted down, he continued, “I need all men strong enough to lift a sword, spear, axe, or mace to come with me to the north. Anyone who can pull a bow will be invaluable to me. All that is left in Werach is a token garrison, a few companies of men and the king’s guards. If we can raise the south, we can take Werach!” He drew his longsword and held it up high, showing it to the people. “With this blade I will cut down the Coward King!”