Bad Boys Don't Cry

Prologue:

(Seven years ago)

"Do you have any other snacks except for fruits?" groaned Jessica, glaring at me.

"Yeah!" agreed Susan. "This is the lamest party ever."

"Fruits are... healthy..." I countered meekly, despairing. How was I meant to know people didn't want to eat fruit at birthday parties? Why should I care anyway? It was not fun being allergic to sugar.

"I'm going to call my mom to take me home. Your toys are so stupid. Who even plays with Barbies any more? You're nine years old, not two." sneered Kelsey.

"Same!" announced Susan, whipping out a brand new purple flip open phone.

"You're the only one out of us who doesn't have a phone yet, Fae." laughed Jessica. "My mum says it's because you are too poor! I feel sorry for you, only having a dad. It means you can never have anything nice."

I flushed a deep red, and felt tears well up in my eyes, but I tried my best not to cry in front of my friends.

"I only thought you were nice at the beginning because you were pretty, Fae, but I don't think you are one of us. I think it's better if you don't talk to us anymore at playtime."

Ruby leant over and whispered to Kelsey. I could hear her clearly, despite trying I cover it up.

"She's not even that pretty. Imagine her with really thick glasses on and super messy hair. Oh, and bad spots. She would be sooo ugly."

Kelsey smiled wickedly, and whispered to Jessica, this time so I couldn't hear. Jessica went over to where I stood trembling, and whipped out one of my brand new sharpie pens my dad had bought for my birthday. Slamming my head against the wall, and gesturing for other girls to hold me back, she drew two fat circles around my eyes in black, and spotted my face with crimson. Then, Kelsey handing her a pair of scissors, cut off my hair in big chunks until all that was left was a straggly black mess on my head. I struggled, but they would not let me go. Just two days ago these girls were my friends, but I realised, as salty tears rolled down my cheeks, moving schools had been a bad, bad idea. Finally, Jessica drew away, giggling.

"Oh Fae, you look so silly! There, now nobody will think you are nicer than you really are. I don't thin the market will ever come off, it says permanent on the packet."

Ruby eyed me warily.

"You do look silly. I can't believe we thought you were pretty if you look like this. Will we get into trouble?"

"Of course not!" laughed Kelsey airily, without a care in the world. "After all, all we did was reveal the truth, right?"

The doorbell rang, and one by one the girls filed out, taking their ornately wrapped gifts with them as they left. I sank down against the wall, lengths of hair flying to the ground. Catching my reflection in a mirror, I realised. I really was ugly.

Chapter One: Behind the Glasses

"To be honest, I don't think you have a chance with any of the boys in this school. Not with your looks, anyway." said Murphy nonchalantly, fiddling with her frizzy dark hair.

I almost laughed. She knew just as well as I did that we were both at the bottom of the popularity chain, the losers. I was the nerd, the brainy girl with glasses thicker than Wayne Rooney (1) and a personality more timid than a mouse. Murphy was the fat girl. It sounded mean, but it was the sad truth. Despite this, Murphy and I both knew she could have had a chance at being popular, if only it was for her personality. Murphy was bitter and sharp, snapping at people without a second thought for their personalities. Together, we made up the biggest losers in the school. I didn't even like Murphy, but it seemed like our destiny to hang out together, considering no one else in the school would even approach us.

Sighing, I ignored Murphy and got on with my science homework.

"Fae!" scowled Murphy, aware of my intentions. "Are you even listening to me?"

I turned to her, exasperated.

"Murphy? I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that. Did you say, you'd never get a boyfriend? I might be inclined to agree, I'm afraid."

Murphy growled at me.

"I bet you're an ugly bitch below those thick glasses of yours. And who in their right mind would have a hairstyle like that?"

Self-consciously I smoothed down my awkward triple ponytails, and reminded myself why I was enduring this.

'You're not one of them. Don't fool anyone into thinking you're something you're not.' I scolded myself.

"Shall we go and get some lunch?" I asked her neutrally, unplugging my USB stick and logging off of the computer. Murphy nodded crossly, but there was a funny glint in her eye.

"I guess..." she replied mysteriously, following me out if the library. We made our ways to the dining hall, and I grabbed a specially made sugar free sandwich from the counter. I was just about to grab a bottle of water when suddenly, I felt my ponytails being yanked out. I let out a loud yelp, and what seemed like the whole canteen turned to stare at me. My long black locks fell around my face, but my glasses remained intact. Murphy stomped before me and smirked.

"Let's see what you're hiding behind those fake lenses!"

She snatched off my glasses for the school to see, and the dining room fell into silence. Even Murphy was shocked.

"Y-you..." she stuttered. I looked up into the crowd, where my eyes locked with a pair of striking green eyes before they were lost in the crowd. I snatched back my glasses and perched them back on my nose, trying to cover up what had just happened, despite the hall being dead silent.

I grabbed a water bottle and piled it onto my tray, along with some fruit, and slowly sat down at a table. Whispers dread throughout the canteen.

"Did you see her face?"

"Do you think it was surgery?"

"She was so pretty!"

That girl was fit, man."

"What's going on?"

I stood up and touched Murphy's arm.

"Hey." I said gently. "Are you okay?"

She snatched her arm away, as if she was disgusted by my touch.

"Get away from me." she snapped "You lied to me. You're one of them."

She picked up her tray, and marched away, officially ending yet another friendship.

I finished my lunch in silence.

(1) Wayne Rooney: English footballer, in my opinion a bit of an idiot. A lot.

A/N: Hey people! Welcome to a brand new book :)

This one is set in England, as usual, so funny references you dudes from overseas won't get will usually be at the bottom, though if there is anything else, don't hesitate, just ask!

Thanks for reading,

Xx Pavne