Deliver Me Safely Chapter Seven

The others hear the commotion and run to the scene. They stand in shock to see Leon on the ground, and Serenity standing above him. She is breathing like that of an untamed animal. Valere reaches out and grabs Serenity’s wrist. She fights away and pushes him rearward.

      “Antoine, hold her!” Etienne commands the guide.

      Antoine takes no time to restrain her, forcing her arms behind her back. She struggles against him, but he has a firm hold of her. Somehow, Serenity is able to gradually pull her arms from his grasp. When she’s free, she whips around and pins Antoine to the ground. She lets out a loud snarl, and Antoine begins to scream for assistance.

      “Silence you,” She says, only loud enough for Antoine to hear.

      She grasps her hands around his neck and starts to strangle him. Antoine chokes and gags for breath in vain. Then hands hook onto her waist in an attempt to pull her off. Serenity isn’t going easily; she is too strong. She looks back to see that Leon is the one pulling on her. For the briefest of moments, she stops what she is doing. It is as if seeing him has brought her back to her sense. Quickly, Leon tears her away from Antoine, who is taking deep breaths. Valere joins Leon’s side in a moment. Leon turns his attention to Etienne. The priest is standing there, dumbfounded.

      “I never expected the witch could…,” he breathes, stopping in the middle of his sentence.

Antoine gets back to his feet. He stands two feet away from Leon, Serenity, and Valere.

      “You all right?” Valere asks, turning to him.

He shakes his head.

      “Of course I’m not!” he shouts, and points his finger at Serenity. “She just tried to kill me!”

      He’s finally snapped. He grabs a sword from the wagon and pulls it out of its sheath. Leon pulls Serenity close to him, almost hugging her.

      “What are you doing, Antoine?!” he demands.

      “The witch will just put us into more danger,” Antoine. “I’m putting an end to this right now!

      “Antoine, no! You mustn’t!” Etienne pleads.

      “Forget you, priest! She’s dead!”

When Antoine advances towards Serenity, Valere stands in his way.

      “What? Get out of the way, Valere!”

      “That’s enough. You’re losing your mind.” Valere says calmly.

      In a rage, Antoine shoves the sword’s point into Valere’s side. Valere shouts out in agony and falls to his knees, holding the wounded area. Antoine looks stony at what he has just done.

      “Traitor!” Leon barks.

      Antoine takes another step towards him. Leon recoils. But he cannot take another step; Valere has grabbed onto his leg.

      “You just don’t know when to quit, do you?” he scoffs.

      He raises the sword up, hoping Valere would let go and he wouldn’t have to kill him. But Valere hold on, unafraid. Antoine swings the blade down.

      “Stop!!” Serenity shouts.

      The blade comes to a sudden halt, just before it slices through Valere’s shoulder. Leon and the others stare in surprise at Serenity. Tears are falling from her eyes. Her hand is clasped tightly around Leon’s arm.

      “Stop it,” she cries. “You’re all going mad.”

Etienne strides in front of Antoine.

      “Killing her won’t solve anything,” he informs. “Have you forgotten the task at hand? We are to deliver her to Bonarame.”

Antoine glares at him. He looks at Serenity.

      “I hope the witch is burned,” he growls low.

Leon looks to Valere, who lets out a pained groan.

      “Valere’s wound must be treated,” he says, motioning to Etienne.

      The priest nods and goes over to Valere. He wraps the knight’s arm around his shoulder and leads him over to the side of the cage. Antoine’s eyes meet Leon’s, and they narrow at each other. Antoine spits on the ground between them and, with a last hateful glance at Serenity, walks back to the campsite.

      Valere groans in pain as Etienne rubs alcohol onto his wound. Leon lets go of Serenity and turns to Etienne.

      “How is it?” he wonders.

      “He’ll live,” the priest tells him without looking up.

He dresses Valere’s wound with cloth, then helps the knight to his feet.

      “Do you still need my assistance?” he asks.

      “No, no, I’m fine.” Valere answers.

The two walk back to camp. But no sooner as Valere has gotten comfortable, Etienne is back with Leon and Serenity.

      “What is it, Etienne?” Leon asks, helping Serenity back into the cage.

      Serenity looks at Etienne and cowers. She hugs in her legs. Etienne pulls Leon to the side. There is a small hint of fear in his eyes.

      “She is dangerous,” he utters, nervously. “We should make haste to the abbey.”

      “Etienne,” Leon begins. “There is something I must tell you.”

      “All right.”

Leon takes a deep breath, and then exhales.

      “Serenity, er, the girl is not a witch. It is more complicated than that.”

      “What are you saying?” Etienne asks.

      “The girl is—”

      But Leon is cut off by a loud screech coming from the inside of the cage. Leon and Etienne shoot their heads in Serenity’s direction. Wasting no time, Leon rushes over to the cage. Inside, Serenity is writhing violently, foaming at the mouth.

      “What madness is this?” Etienne gasps when he sees her.

      “I’m not sure,” Leon admits, slowly shaking his head.

      He quickly opens the door he hadn’t yet locked and jumps inside the cage. Making his way over to Serenity, he lays his palm in the middle of her chest. She suddenly stops moving. In another second, she whips up and grabs hold of Leon’s wrist. Leon lets out a frightened gasp and moves back, but he cannot go far.

      “Leon!” Etienne’s voice spills out.

Leon’s eyes are locked on Serenity’s. Her eyes, no, the eyes of the thing inside of her, are filled with rage. It grinds its teeth.

      “You will not speak of it to anyone,” it growls.

This isn’t her, Leon thinks. This definitely is not Serenity.

It contorts into a devilish smile. Now Leon understands the danger Serenity is in.