Percy, Quests, and Creepy

Don’t own.

Chapter 3

Percy, Quests, and Creepy

“Campers,” Chiron said, “Quintus is your new sword master. He will be staying at camp with us.” My eyes narrowed. Staying at Camp with us? No way. The dude was creepy, I could feel something off about him, I just couldn’t figure it out.

“I would appreciate it if you would not point your weapons at my pet.” Quintus said, I could hear a bit of a threat in his tone. I straightened, putting my knives away, the other campers did the same. I kept my eyes on the hellhound. “Thank you. I give you my word Mrs. O’Leary would not hurt a fly. We have traveled with each other for many long years, she has protected me from many dangers.” There, another warning. The guy wanted us to know that he had a hellhound on his side.

“Come, my friend, we must discuss your new position. Mrs. O’Leary might be comfortable in the arena, the campers are celebrating a well-deserved victory right now. We can properly introduce you tomorrow at breakfast.”

“Very well.” With that, Quintus left, his giant pet trailing behind him, knocking over our tables of food. The Stoll brothers nearly killed it then and there. As the three left, no one spoke, we all just stared. I sighed. Everyone started picking up the food tables and talking about how Quintus seemed evil. They had no idea. I picked up some Doritos and a six-pack of Mountain Dew and set it on a table, thinking about this new sword master, he seemed very familiar to me.

The rest of the party got better and louder. Apollo’s cabin provided music, Athena’s cabin provided the food, and Hephaestus supplied the giant campfire. The party went well on into the night, Chiron let us stay out after our curfew. At about 1:00, Mr. D remembered that he had campers and he sent us to bed, complaining about how gods needed their “Sleep.”

0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o

The next morning, (4:00 a.m.), I got up and quietly put on my clothes and boots. I tip-toed out to the arena. Ever since I’d gotten to camp, I haven’t practiced my gymnastics or Jujitsu at all. I started off with basic stretches, then I practiced my flips, kicks, punches, and jumps. I probably looked like a monkey, flying and jumping through the air like I was. I ran and trained until it was 5:45, I sat down for a rest. I was way more tired than I should be. Living at camp had made me soft. “What I wouldn’t give to fight a monster right now,” I thought as I wiped my forehead with a towel. I got on my hands and pulled myself up into a handstand, my breath puffing, I hadn’t done this in a while. I held the pose for two minutes.

0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o 0-o

This became a daily routine for me. I would get up early, train, shower, and eat. All before 7:00. It got boring. We would have sword practice with Quintus, go on the climbing wall, eat, sing, go to bed. Then dreams would come. Every night it was the evil king or Luke or Kronos trying to talk to me. The stress was enough to drive anyone crazy. The war was getting more intense. People were disappearing, either joining the other side or dieing. Clarisse was sent on a mission for Chiron. Weeks later, she came back with a half-dead looking demi-god. She was almost always accompanied by a tall blond girl with grey eyes; she gave me a bad feeling. Something about her, like Quintus, screamed “I am secretive and mysterious! Tell me your secrets!” This was all shifted onto my plate all while I was trying to figure out who the old guy in my dreams was. I wanted to rip my hair out! Months passed, boring months.

Then one day, it all changed. I felt it, two presences. I looked to the top of the hill, near Thalia’s Tree. Two shadows were standing at the top. I dismissed the feeling and wheeled my self back under the camp SUV. Travis and Connor were teaching me how to hotwire a car. It was pretty fun and I’m ashamed to say, I’m pretty good at it. I only set the car alarm off once. As I got out to hop into the driver’s seat, I saw Clarisse’s friend, who I now knew as Annabeth. She nodded at me. I nodded at her, revved the engine, and took Connor, Travis, and three other campers on the car ride of their lives. One little boy got sick.