Chapter Twenty-One: Surprising Phone Calls

Chapter Twenty-One

Surprising Phone Calls

“Die die die!” Colton slams his finger on the button and we both watch as the virtual aliens are blown up. “Yes!” He throws his hands in the air. “New high score!”

Mr. Emerson, who is two games down from his, manages only a weak smile.

After we all found out the baseball card was a fake, he took it pretty hard. Banging his head against the steering wheel repeatedly, muttering under his breath, and vowing to find the real Honus Wagner card.

Which leads me to my next point: the real Honus Wagner card that was supposed to be in the album is allegedly still out there. Because when the man at Tables and Trinkets took the baseball card out of the sleeve to show us exactly how it was fake, a note slipped out. A note from Mr. Emerson’s long-deceased Granddad who wrote that the card was hidden away somewhere in the house, we only had to find it.

That pushed Mr. Emerson over the edge. So Colton decided it might do him some good to kill virtual bad guys. Thus, the reason we are at the arcade and the reason Colton has slipped down some maturity points.

“I,” Colton states, a look of wonder sweeping across his features, “am so good.”

I snort. Colton frowns and then smirks.

“You know it’s true, Cassidy.” He bumps his shoulder with mine and I get the usual thrill from him using my full name.

“It’s getting late.” I say, checking my phone and then showing it to Colton.

“Hey!” Colton’s face lights up. “Can I see that?”

I hesitantly hand over my phone and Colton clicks a few buttons. He throws an arm over my shoulder and leans down slightly, so he’s not a foot taller than me.

“Smile!” He says, tilting the phone to face us. At the last second, he turns and plants a loud, smacking kiss on my cheek.

The phone clicks.

“Colton!” I turn to face him, indignant. He grins at me.

Another click.

“You know you loved it.” He insists.

Despite my best judgment, I laugh.

The phone clicks again.

“Perfect.” Colton proclaims, bringing the phone closer to him, but still keeping an arm around me. I find I don’t mind so much, being snuggled to his side.

Colton messes with the phone for a minute, his tongue peeking between his lips as he concentrates, making him look adorable.