Chapter 20

"Do you actually have any idea how we are going to achieve this grand idea, Ruben?" I ask.

"Believe it or not, I do," he winks, grinning.

"Good. Please enlighten me." I roll my eyes, although I am eager to hear what he has come up with.

"A Tranquillity patrolman has free access to every corridor of the underground tunnels. They can get to any part of the Floodgates without being spotted above ground."

"But we are not Tranqs, Ruben," I point out, although I can tell that he has already worked a way around it.

He smiles and I automatically mirror it. "The Tranqs' headquarters are all underground. In fact, there are six Tranq headquarters in the Floodgates. The southernmost headquarters is the smallest and least used. If we can sneak in and take some Tranq clothing and weapons–"

"We will become Tranqs," I finish, the idea becoming better and better by the second.

"Yes," he nods. "Being a Tranq also means they grant us entry into the research wing without suspicion. We can get into the vault, where Hatchman keeps the vaccinations."

"You know where it is?" I ask.

"Yes," he says. "Although, they forbid me from going inside."

"We will get into the research via the cavern, that way we can assess the situation there, and come up with the way to get Aston out."

"I agree."

"Is the Tranq headquarters locked? Won't we need to know a code or have a key?" I say, images of the highest security equipment coming to mind.

Ruben grins mischievously, showing off his white teeth. He digs into the pocket of his jeans and pulls out a polished silver key. "I am way ahead of you, Elle. Catch up."

"I should have known."

"I'm not so ignorant, am I, Elle?"

I wrinkle my nose, shaking my head. "Only sometimes."

---

"I will have to head back to the Palace, or someone will notice my absence," Ruben says, draining the rest of his tea. I had found some herbal tea. A few of my mother's mugs were hidden away in the depths of the kitchen cabinet.

"Yes," I say, rising from the couch, taking his mug from him and traipsing to the kitchen. I rinse them out, placing them in the sink.

"Alright. Shall we go over the plan again?" Ruben asks, pacing over to the kitchen.

"No, Ruben," I huff. "It will only make me more anxious."

He nods. "I will be here early tomorrow. We will leave for the trapdoor after the Tranqs leave their headquarters to guard the southern neighbourhood."

"I know." I follow him as he moves to the exit.

He opens the door and turns around in the doorway. "Thank you for the tea, Elle. And for letting me spend the morning with you."

My cheeks burst with heat, and I curse myself. "The tea was pretty old, so I'm glad someone of your stature enjoyed it."

He chuckles, eyes rolling. "Course I'd enjoy it. I try to be open-minded, unlike the rest of the Concave folk." He pretends to cock a top hat before spinning around and descending the stairs.

"Don't arrive late, Mister Chander. I would hate to have to go without your annoying ass," I call after him.

"Goodbye, Elle!" His light chuckle fades as his broad frame disappears down the stairs.