Griffins Flight

Wings beat at the air. Crashing. Turning. Wheeling, as Gardis strove for Ketsala. Rapsot and Frantlor fought for a position, nipping with sharp beaks and raking talons down the side of his competitors. Hind legs shoved with forceful power, but Gardis managed to keep the lead.

Ketsala dove for the ground, the three males on her tail. Her pheromones were at their height, suffusing the air with a mix of lust, need, and primal fear. Even if one should catch her it was unlikely the other two would give up. It would be death if all three caught her.

Frantlor crept up, heavier than Gardis or Rapsot, able to dive far faster than either of them. He furled his eagle’s wings and pulled in lion paws till they where flush with his body, falling like a stone toward the ground. Gardis heard the wind of his passage and managed to lash out with two claws, raking his side. Frantlor spread wings, trying to get away from him, and slowed his dissent.

Ketsala fell in a dizzying pace, the ground rushing up to meet him. She pulled up as the mountain passed within a breath of her hind paws, only to dig in with tough claws and throw herself into a dive off the cliffs edge.

Gardis was far enough behind to see the move and missed the cliff edge. Rapsot lost a few tail feathers as his wing beats took him too near the cliff. Frantlor was not as lucky.

Unsteady from his brush with Gardis, he faltered. Unable to see where he was going, he hit the ground at speed, his head spinning. The pain of bruised ribs and stretched wing muscles washed over him before all went black.

Ketsala, unaware that she had lost one of her pursuers, continued down toward the valley floor. Trees grew far into the sky, obscuring the land below. It would be risky for the griffiness to travel among them. Far worse for her larger pursuers. She could easily wipe one, if not two, off her trail.

Gardis and Rapsot watched as she dove into the tree line, and faltered for a moment. Flying in a forest was tricky in the best of circumstances. Only the most agile would make it through.

Gardis recovered faster, diving after Ketsala with a squawk, Rapsot, seconds behind.

They dove among the trees, blinking as their eyes adjusted to the sudden darkness.

Gardis recovered faster, flying after Ketsala with a squawk. Rapsot, seconds behind.

They wove through the trees, their eyes slowly adjusting to the darkness. Even so, both nearly slammed into a tree before their vision cleared and they caught the flick of silver light reflecting off Ketsala’s wings.

They dove after her, pulling their legs as close to their bodies as possible, diving through the narrow path in order to make it through. Still, Ketsala was some distance before them.

A large tree blocked the path, several smaller trees on either side, blocking the path to their prey.

At the last moment, Gardis back peddled, allowing Rapsot to shoot through and take the lead.

Taking a calculated risk, Gardis shot up through the canopy, leaving prey and rival behind. The bright sun blinded him, and he blinked eagle eyes to clear his view before picking up the shimmering movement of Ketsala. He followed her scent.

Clear of the forest, Gardis was able to gain on Ketsala, leaving Rapsot behind. Closing in on his quarry.

Rapsot noticed Gardis and put on a burst of speed, desperately trying to gain. The added speed could be fatal in such a dense forest, but the scent of Ketsala just out of site spurred him on.

Rapsot dove around a set of small pines, then wheeled quickly to the right to avoid a second. He didn’t see the third, a wing tip slamming into several branches. Feathers pulled free and the air filled with squawked epithets.

Still, he flew, blood spilling onto the forest floor. Pain searing up his wing. His flight stumbled, unable to keep up no matter the cost.

Gardis tracked Ketsala quietly, waiting for his moment. He followed for several minutes before noticing that Rapsot had fallen behind. Even then he did not push his advance, but rather waited until she emerged from the foliage.

She flew into a glade on the edge of the mountains. Jagged cliff faces leered, their toothy mouths gapping down at her. Ketsala’s golden wings gleamed radiantly as she emerged from the dark depths of the forest.

Silently, he flew through the air, high above her. Unseen. Unheard. Gaining as the warm air lifted him up.

He stalked her, his prey. Shadowing her movements, gaining on her until he was directly above her.

Ketsala chanced a glance behind, saw nothing, then looked up. Gardis saw realization flicker in her eyes. But it was too late.

Pulling in his wings and feet, Gardis dove. A heavy rock falling through the air, strait at her.

He tumbled into her, a ball of feathers and fur as male and female griffin fell to the earth. Though short, both were bruised and battered as they rolled across the ground.

Ketsala fought valiantly, afraid the others would catch up. A griffin hen in the center of mating males battling did not always survive. And this, her first mating, sent her into a panic.

Gardis carefully stalked her, keeping her grounded and crooning to her. Stilling her. He met her eyes and carefully moved closer.

The other males did not emerge from the forest. Was she safe?

Exhausted, Ketsala gave into Gardis’ strong claws and beak. She allowed the soft crooning to lull her.

This male had been fast enough to catch her. Smart enough to survive the forest. And sneaky enough to catch her off guard. And yet here he sat, crooning to her. Neither forceful nor adamant, he took his time to reassure her.

She left the chase behind. Allowing herself to sink into this griffin. After all, griffins mated for life. Being bonded with this male might work out for her.

And soon enough there would be another flight.