Chapter Twelve

WARNING: THE REMAINING CHAPTERS CONTAIN MANY SPOILERS FOR THE FINAL HOBBIT MOVIE!

The days and nights now seemed to string together in misery for Esja. She kept herself away from the dwarves and watched from the shadows of the ruined halls, their comings, and goings. She hid away in a small room that was not too far away but difficult to discover.

Balin found her anyway.

She looked up at the sound of his step in the hall, sighing with relief and regret that it was only he. Sitting down on the narrow cot beside her, he wrapped his arm around her shoulders, tucking her close against him.

When her tears subsided, he asked, "What have you done now, lass?"

"I told him to give them what they wanted so they would leave us in peace."

Balin sighed, "I thought as much," he said.

"It gets worse," Esja sighed, wiping her face on his shoulder.

"Please tell me you didn't say what I think you did," Balin said,

"I said it," came her muffled reply as she hid her face by his snowy beard.

"Why would you do that?" he asked.

"I don't know. It just came out of my mouth," she said, her voice catching.

"There now," Balin patted her head, "He knows you better than to believe there are conditions to his place in your heart," he said.

"I'm just so frustrated! I can't bear his stubbornness when it comes to that treasury. And I know, I know that he never did like being crossed, but it seems that particular trait has been a bit magnified in the past years," she said.

"Yes, perhaps, a bit," Balin agreed with a slight smile. "One hundred and seventy-some odd years without your daily vexing has spoiled him. He's far too accustomed to being told he's right by too many people who do not wish to think for themselves." He paused for a moment, then added, "He will be worried if you do not return tonight."

Esja shook her head, "Most likely, he'll be relieved. There is too much on his mind, and I will not become another responsibility that he carries. I do not know how he bears what he already has."

"He has claimed responsibility for your since first he laid eyes on you," he said, then asked, "Perhaps you would go and speak with him? He spent last night tearing apart the treasury. He is still there now."

"I'm afraid we are at an impasse. I want only for this to be concluded as quickly and painlessly as possible, and he only wants what lies in the depths of this mountain. I will not step foot back in that treasury. He has made his choice."

"The choice was made for him years ago and has been solidified by death and desperation."

Esja sighed, "Why did he never come to the Iron Hills? I mean after they were both gone."

"By then, I do not think he held any hope of reconciling you. In the early days of exile when we moved from town to town and took work where we could, he told me he was glad you were kept away, in safety and comfort."

She nodded, "He took work at the forge again, the boys tell me."

"Oh Aye, he did. He'd lost none of his skill with the hammer. But he was most sought, as time passed, for his skill in-"

"the making of settings for jewels and his workings in gold and silver," Esja finished.

"Yes, yes. You remember."

"In the evenings, when I was done with teaching, I would go down to the jewelers' shops and find him. I would sit for hours watching him bend the metal into the most exquisite designs. Setting within them the finest stones found in the mountain. I could not understand how his fingers could work with such delicacy. I tried once to make a simple figure out of gold wire. I made him laugh so hard with my clumsy attempts that I refused to speak to him for a week. In the end, he arranged a field trip for my class, without my knowledge, to investigate the newest vein of gold discovered, and after watching him with fourteen children for half a day, I had no choice but to forgive him. It was most entertaining, watching six-year-olds run him ragged," she smiled at the memory. "That was back when I thought that this place would be my home until I died. But now, now I've come to understand that this will never be my home, Balin. Last night I realized that even if everything works in our favor, this place will still never be my home."