chapter 2

¤¤¤¤¤

Hasheem walked to their temporary room in an ugly fit of rage, and sat on the small bed placed near the wooden window, his elbows resting on his knees and hands shealthing his face. A few minutes passed before ubayd entered the room. He sat beside hasheem but uttered not a single syllable.

Ubayd was among the few people that submitted their absolute and utmost trust in him.

What fuels his anger is that, not only innocent was he, but also incapable of committing the allegations thrusted upon him. Alas! he was judged by his own mother, the only being he treasured than his own life.

He had sworn to revenge the pains, sorrows, and agony he passed through, on the very person that caused him.

"Ya hasheem, pray out your misfortune, rather than thinking of it." Ubayd finally had the courage to speak, and did so with the only words that could affect his friend.

Hasheem said naught but stood to carry out as his friend suggested. In such
circumstances only prayer could ease the pains in his chest. If only his pains were visible.

His thought about his past depreciated as his days in yaman appreciated. The sheikh had asked him and ubayd to share their sword skills with the yaman knights, which they willingly complied to with the warriors co-operation. Hasheem had once informed ubayd of his suspicion upon the reason why the king desired the yaman warriors to learn from them. His conclusions could not exceed that he--the sheikh, was not fully at ease with their stay. Ergo, he sees them as a threat to yaman, but forsooth, hasheem had no evil intentions in regards to Yamanaka or its inhabitants, rather he vowed to install his utmost knowledge to the qahtanni clan before he bids his adieu.

Within three fortnights, they worked on the basic aspects, and at the end of the ninth fortnight, the warriors had average knowledge of the Viking tactics--swift and selfless, but never enough to withstand a battle with them.The yaman sheikh was impressed by the outcome and inquired to know what their price was, though still conscious. At first they refused to be paid, but the king was adamant, so they pleaded to be given a portion of land to make a home as vassals. At their request, the sheikh's suspicion was put to rest, having understood hasheem and ubayd were to reside in yaman. He gave them both large portion of lands close to the palace and also ordered the warriors to join in raising homes for both knights.

The two emigrants were accepted by the yaman king and fellow warriors, but hasheem
has in no way socialized with a single being. Not even the warriors dared to invite him to any social gathering. Though in his capability, has tried to speak or forge a smile when a fellow knight does or says something silly, but to no avail.They were uncomfortable and intimidated with his presence, but their courage and fearlessness aids in their ability to stand him. Moreso, his structure--tall, broad, and slim adds to his advantage.

The only person that doesn't mistake his personality for being phlegmatic was his companion, whom has made a battalion of friends and acquaintances among the knights and villagers.

¤¤¤¤¤

The month of Ramadan was around the corner, merchants from far and wide are returning to their homelands to spend the month peacefully. All surrounding lands have stored enough food to last the month, incase of war or smuggling thiefts during a siege.The people of yaman were not left behind in these preparations. However, not all families had savings for such supplies. One of those families happens to be fareeda's.

Held tightly between her soft pink thump and forefinger was a thick long needle with a thread tail, and a soft brown velvet lay on her lap. She embroided the brown material with the white cotton thread, like a new mother singing a lulluby to her infant.