Remember When

Do you remember when everyone was best friends with everyone?

Do you remember when laughter wasn't fake?

When smiles weren't just a cover up?

When you were going to grow up and marry a boy with a lollipop ring?

I do. But now those friends are false and the floor falls out.

I do. And I swear when that changed I lost a piece of myself in the chaos.

I do. But now they hide the pain, show you're strong.

I do. And now he won't even spare you a glance because he doesn't think you're good enough.

Do you remember when boys had cooties?

Do you remember when you did your best and getting the grades was a good thing?

When it was girls against the boys?

When you could just be yourself?

I do. But now girls get caught on video giving head  in a bathroom.

I do. And before you weren’t bullied for being interested or asking questions.

I do. But the bitches are all out there, and it’s girls stabbing each other in the back. And the boys get physical and end up with broken bones and black eyes. And still it’s girls against boys, but the prizes are broken hearts and bleeding souls.

I do. And now whatever you were, it’s not “right” for the new you.

Do you remember when nobody cared what clothes you wore?

Do you remember when “going out” actually meant going somewhere?

When you actually talked to your parents?

When the longest time a fight’s aftermath lasted was five minutes?

I do. But to be cool you can’t wear this, have that, or have ever touched those.

I do. And now it’s an obsolete term, anyone can claim; people just say we’re now going out. Cool, where?

I do. But they just “don’t” understand, you’re a teenager they’re like eighty, what would they know?

I do. And now they get so complex sometimes you never forget the pain, and never forgive the burdener.