Wine cellar

Laurie's POV
I walked bare foot in the wine cellar with a towel wrapped our my legs. I had a t-shirt on. I sat on the metal wired bed. Under my feet was dirty. "Laurie, get a bucket of water for me"my mom says walking to the tub.

There was no sink or water running thing here so I had to go upstairs and get some water from the sink. "Ma, I am half dressed"I yell. "And, my body is fully dirty"she says. I grab my over sized orange slippers and ran upstairs.

"Don't break the stairs"my mom yells as I roll my eyes. I run to the sink snd fill a bucket, looking around trying not to get caught. The tv was on. A steep voice got louder my the minute. The bucket was full, I shut the sink and ran.

I shut the door and walked down the stairs. I dropped the bucket in the bathroom. "Thanks"she said. I walked out the bathroom. "Eh"I coughed as the dirt swirled around the room. I walked to my iron bed and laid down.

I took off my slippers. "Laura, here"said a pitched voice. I covered my body. An envelope was handed from my boss, Darla. "You seem to need a wash of clothes"she asks.

I turn to put the money down so she won't see my super red cheeks burn. "No, I just came out the shower, I mean bath"I say. "Is the cellar comfortable"she asks. "Heck no" I say to myself. "It- could be a little better"I say.

"Well, cleaning could be better, it smells an looks like a dust tornado here"she says looking around in disgust. "Well, I haven't had any time from cleaning your house and cooking so I tried my best to keep up"I say.

"Yeah, plus I have to babysit, your children"my mom says. "Well find some time" Darla says walking up the stairs. My mom rolls her eyes and she lights a candle. "Ma, you going to get us fired with this attitude"I say hovering my hands over the fire.

"Want some squash soup"she says changing the subject as usual. I nod. Hard steps break the steps and a dark steep voice echoed through the oak cellar. My father. "Valerie"he says. "Get the heck out of here, Paul"my mom says.

I lay in bed as if I'm asleep. "Listen here, my daughter is here and I'll visit her and I called her not you so shut your trap"he says getting angry as usual. "Don't disrespect me here in my house"Ma says leaving the soup.

"You call this a house, what a heck of a house you have here"he says chuckling. "And you live with your other 4 wives and they pay the bills, matter of fact your 5 wives now"she says looking down at his new ring.

I peek at what's going on. "Listen here, cook your damn soup and  be the maid you are and clean up your life and I do me"he said making his way towards me. I sat up and opened my eyes to see him smiling widely.

"I am here to give you a great opportunity"he says, raising a brow. "Sorry I can't take any sick days"I say. "This one does not require any sick days, because you won't work anymore"he says smiling and sitting next to me.

My mom moves the cauldron (pot of soup) closer to make sure that the doesn't kid nap me. "We need the money, I can't leave work, we can't support ourselves what-"he cut me off. "Live with me"he says.

I stutter, fire flames rise up to burn my moms pinky finger and he smiles. "Live with you, what type of flaming fire is that"my mom says. "Shut it"he says quietly. "My mom can't support herself I need to help her"I said.

"Meet our real- rich mom she doesn't live in a wine cellar she lives in a mansion, how it looks upstairs"he says. "Good god don't put this in a child's head"my mom said spinning around the soup and cutting carrots and squash.

"Then my mom will have to support herself. I grabbed the envelope and opened it. 1,500 dollars was in it. "1500 is going to take about 100 months to get 100,000 dollars which is the price of a house"he says.

My eyes open wide at the sound of numbers in the thousands. I haven't learned much because I go to school but don't listen. When I clean I usually rip out a couple pages in Darla's daughter, Denise's books. "My mom is going to have to work hard"I say.

"So, it's all about you"he says rubbing my back. "Well, I'll dwell on it"I say. He smiles. "Dwell on it! Seriously you should know to ssty with me"my mom yells. I lay down and cover myself with the short blanket.

My toes poke out and I drift away.