Chapter 11 • Dreamimg

Draco paced furiously in his dormitory, angry with himself. Why had he called Hermione that? He hadn't meant to, of course, but now Hermione thought he still hated her. he didn't. He loved her. Now he had to figure out how to get her back.

He thought of the time over break when he had seen her kissing Weasley, the first day she had changed her hair. He was startled not just by how beautiful she was, but by the fact that she was still seeing Weasley. That was the morning when he had tried kissing her... He remembered her hurt voice, how she told him to go away, how he had tried comforting her. He waited for her outside the portrait hole, but Potter came out and threatened to hex him if he didn't leave. All that day, through breakfast and during his wanderings around the castle, he had looked for her, in the library, the Great Hall, the grounds; he even sneaked a glance in Hagrid's hut, but he didn't see her until she was kissing Weasley.

Maybe he had been crazy to think she could feel the same way for him as he did her. After all, her first real love was Weasley, not him. He angrily clenched his fists, sitting down heavily on his cold bed. He closed his eyes, but only saw Hermione's hurt face after he had called her... called her what he did. He couldn't regret more what he had said than anything else in his life.

He was just grabbing his wand and siphoning off the dust on his trunk when he heard steps outside his door.

His heart leaped; the feet sounded soft, and he thought for a moment that Hermione had come to forgive him, but it fell right back down again when he saw Pansy's snobbish face at the door.

"Draa-coo," she simpered, sliding onto the bed with him. "Why haven't you been talking to me?" She pouted her lip and pressed against him. Draco curled his lip, but did nothing as Pansy began stroking his arm.

"Pansy, you shouldn't be here," Draco said in a hard tone, standing up, causing Pansy's simpering expression to turn into one of anger.

"Fine," she spat, stalking out of the dormitory. "I'll find someone else." She hissed out the last word, turning on her heel and slamming the door. Draco exhaled in relief.

"Thank God," he muttered. "She's a nightmare." He stood back up, walking out of the dormitories. He thought vaguely of going to the library; he might even run into Hermione, and he could try apologizing again.

Draco walked out of the common room, ignoring Pansy's incensed face, walking with a brisk pace down the corridor. He fixed a sneer on his face, but the dark circles under his eyes were like weights, dragging his face back into a frown. He aimed a curse into a huddle of first-years, giving a laugh as they scattered, beating their smoking books.

Turning a corner, he was met with a sight that caused him to recoil in disgust. Down the corridor, near a concealed passageway to the library that he had intended to use, were Potter and that Weasley girl, snogging each other's faces. Draco stealthily backed up, silently clutching at his stomach. He thought about hexing them, but he had heard that the girl was a fierce dueller, and he didn't want Hermione any madder at him.

Draco considered his options. The library was far too long of a way to walk the long way, as the shortcut was blocked by Potter, and he didn't fancy a long stroll through the dark, chilly corridors. He decided to go out into the grounds, where the sun was shining.

He pushed aside a tapestry that he knew concealed a passage to the Great Hall, and slowly walked along it. He finally arrived into the Hall, and he quickened his pace, eager to get outside. Pushing the doors open, Draco squinted as his eyes adjusted to the bright sun, then relaxed, feeling the warmth seep into his weary body.

Strolling through the grass and coming to a stop at the beech tree, Draco sat down, shedding his outer robe. He leaned back, resting his head against the smooth bark, closing his eyes in the warmth. He actually felt...content. For the first time this year, Draco didn't feel hampered down by worries or woes. He could hear the lake gently lapping at the shore, and thought of the Slytherin common room far below, the greenish glow of the lake water as strange creatures swam past. He quite preferred the sun.

Draco sat there, resting, until he dozed off.

He walked down a dim forest path, looking at the foliage on either side. The trees were slender and tall, letting the warm light filter through their thin leaves. The soft dappled ground bore the marks of animals, with deer prints dimpling the mud, the soft prints of raccoons, and the tiny holes of songbirds' talons. Bird song filled the air, and a woodpecker bored a hole somewhere in the distance. His feet made no sound except for the occasional snap of a twig or rustle of leaves, but each time he did cause a disturbance, the light seemed to grow darker.

As he continued walking, he noticed the ground becoming harder, the air cooler. The songs died off, and a sudden hush fell over the forest. The trees shivered, throwing menacing shadows as they listed side-to-side. Draco drew his cloak nervously around his body, pulling out his wand, and whisped, "Lumos." His wand gave a feeble flicker, then went out. Shaking his wand angrily, he tried again, but to mo avail. He tried sending a shower of sparks into the air, but his wand still did nothing. When he tried putting it away, it fell into pieces that dissolved into dust at his feet.

Shivering, Draco backed up, only to find that the trees had grown so close behind him that there was no way he could pass. Feeling dread, he took a step forward, towards the swaying trees. When he stopped, so did the shaking trunks. He took another step. The light grew. He took steps until the forest returned to its old state, then dissolved into whiteness. Then he woke up, not remembering anything.

Sorry if this is a boring chapter, but it leads up to something and I had to get the dream in there.

Dedicated to hermionegranger1479. Happy Birthday, and I hope your Aunt has a great wedding!! ♥