Chapter 3- The Palace

Felicia's POV

I was led to the prince's car, and he shoved me inside rather forcefully. I wanted to tell him that he was being a jerk, but I didn't dare. Who knows what he would have done to me?

Instead, I bit my tongue and stared out the window. It was quite nice outside, though slightly overcast, and we passed by many beautiful forests and meadows as well as little villages and holdfasts.

Yet, for the life of me, I could not figure out where we were. I supposed it didn't matter. I was to be his slave -I shuddered at the word, though I supposed I would have to get used to it- for life. Hmm. Well, whatever small chunk of it was left. I doubted I'd survive very long.

There was no doubt in my mind that we had reached our destination when we came to the castle. No other place could possibly house a royal family. The castle was larger than anything I had ever seen before, with winding towers stretching up towards the sky, vines crawling lazily up around them like arms. The castle shone even in the slightly overcast weather, white marble glistening as if it were covered in tiny raindroplets. Large fields and several gardens and fountains surrounded it, all looking as if they were tended to day and night, in fact, they probably were.

"Come on now, out you get," the prince said harshly, opening up the door to the car for me.

I stepped out carefully, keeping my gaze on the ground, though I desperately wanted to look up and admire the estate before me.

I followed him through the giant doors, surely tall enough to fit four of me standing on each other's shoulders. And I was quite tall (175 cm/5 feet 8 inches)! Well, the prince was taller. He's surely at least 185 cm/ 6 feet 1 inch.

Well inside, several servants (or perhaps they were slaves like me) greeted us. The prince left me with one of them, a girl who looked to be just a little older than me, with large brown eyes and beautiful, silky brown hair, cut short to just below her chin. She introduced herself as Maddie, and started showing me around.

The tour was short, as much of the castle was restricted to us, and ended in the slaves' quarters, where I would be staying. I'd have the bed next to Maddie. It was dirty and old, and the tiny cupboard we shared could only just fit our clothes. I was given a maid outfit much like the one I was currently wearing. Maddie was wearing an identical one. This one, however, was not black and white, but blue and brown, with a falcon sigil. Maddie told me that that was the sigil of the royal family, Avencrest.

'Braith Avencrest,' I thought to myself.

What an unusual name.

She handed me a list. "The prince said that you should start working today. All of your chores are on here. If you get lost, just wait for someone to pass by, or head downstairs until you find someone to ask. Make sure it's another slave or a servant! Generally, going down is always the safest way. Less of a chance that you'll stumble upon a place you shouldn't be in. Just, as soon as there aren't anymore windows, run back up to where there are windows. We're not allowed down there. Have you understood everything?"

My head was swimming with all this new knowledge, but I nodded anyways and walked out into the corridoor. I looked down at my list.

'Clean the windows on the first floor.

Mop the Great Hall (there will be others helping you).

Clean my room.

-Braith'

I sighed and went to the supply closet on the first floor, and began my work.

Braith's POV

I was distracted. I was sitting in a meeting with my father and some important government officals. Lord Something-or-other and Sir What's-his-face. I was too distracted to remember, or pay any attention whatsoever to what we were discussing. All I could think about was that damn girl. She seemed so... So... Oh, I simply couldn't describe it, but I knew there was just something about her...

My thoughts were interrupted by my father abruptly: "What do you think Braith?"

Quick as ever, I replied, "Perhaps. Perhaps not. We should think carefully about our decision before we make it."

The rest of the bumbling idiots at the meeting seemed fooled by my response, but my father knew me better. My answers were never that vague.

After the meeting, my father told me to see him in his office.

I agreed, despite my annoyance.

I made my way through the halls, which were surprisingly empty. Normally there would be many slaves bustling about, doing whatever it is they do.

With my super hearing, I heard the quiet humming from the other end of the hall. And with my sense of smell, I could tell it was Felicia.

My fangs immediately elongated, but I forced the urge to rip her throat out away, and continued walking.

When I was about a meter away, she heard my quiet footsteps. She turned around, and looked surprised to see me.

"Oh, eh, hello."

She was so beautiful in the light coming from the window that my fangs elongated again.

Her eyes widened as she saw them, and she quickly added, "Eh- Master. H-hello, Master."

I realised I must've looked threatening, and I tried to make them go away, but they just wouldn't budge.

Instead, I nodded in her direction, and made my way up the stairs.

When I was well out of range from her, I breathed out, and my fangs retreated back into their normal state. That girl was driving me crazy!