Chapter 22

“Do you see that?” Andrea asks. “Down there. Who is that? It’s not Beccan.”

    Paige stands up and takes the plastic binoculars. She glances down at the hulking figure making its way through the trees towards them. “I think it’s one of the guys… Is that Kenton? Oh my god. I haven’t seen him since the games started. I totally forgot he was still alive!”

    Andrea squints her eyes and leans into the window. “Yeah, I think it is Kenton! Do you think he knows we’re here? He might be coming to kill us.”

    “I figured he was probably looking for David. Isn’t he the one that killed Mikayla?”

    “Oh yeah! Well in that case, if he’s looking for David, we might be safe. Do you know where David is? Maybe we could point him in the right direction.”

    “I have no idea where David is. I feel like no one’s really run into him in a while. Although, honestly, I’m having a hard time keeping up with who’s still here anymore. Especially since we’ve been in here hiding from that stupid robot. You would think the Gamemakers would realize their evil machine isn’t working and give up. I mean, watching us sit around staring out windows and not trying to kill each other can’t be that entertaining.”

    Andrea nods. “Maybe they just want to see how long we’ll sit here before we get desperate and go fight it anyway. We’ll run out of food, eventually, and I’d imagine most people are about ready to end it.”

    Paige isn’t paying attention. “Oh look! He’s crossing the parking lot. Okay, he definitely knows we’re in here; he’s heading for the back door.”

    “What’s that on his back?”

    “It looks like a bow and arrow!”

    “Oh goody! I want one!”

    “Where’d he get it from? I didn’t see one in the cornucopia.”

    “They left other supplies all over the arena. The cornucopia was just to mess with us and get us to fight each other.”

    Paige rolls her eyes in frustration. “But they said that was all we were going to get! WHY WOULD THEY LIE TO US?”

    Andrea shrugs. “Well, they are using us for a TV show and telling us to kill each other. I’d imagine lying to us really isn’t that big of a deal by their ethical standards.”

    “Oh crap I lost him. Did he come inside?” Paige runs from the bedroom into the living room and shoves the blinds aside. No sign of him out back. “He’s in here, Andrea! Oh god. I don’t want to die by arrow!”

    “I didn’t want to die by arrow either. Then I took an arrow to the knee.” Andrea chuckles.

    “What? This isn’t funny, Andrea! I’m freaking out right now!”

    Before Andrea can respond, they hear a knock at the door. Paige lets out a minute squeal and runs into the bedroom.

    “We might as well see what he wants,” Andrea whispers. “He wouldn’t knock on the door if he came here just to kill us.”

    “Whatever. It’s your funeral,” Paige whispers back. “Don’t expect me to come rescue you. If he starts shooting that thing, I’m busting out of here.”

    Andrea glances around at the enclosed walls and the third floor window. “Okay, yeah, good luck with that.” Then she heads for the door.

    Turns out it is a bow and arrow, but Kenton isn’t aiming it. He smiles weakly at Andrea, searching for words. “Is Paige here? I thought I heard her voice.”