The Duke's Bride *Chapter 6*

So I Should Have Finished This In August, But I Haven't Had The Time. Sorry For The Long Wait!

Here's:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 6

       The ride to Brussels was quite rocky and more than once, Victoria felt like sticking her head out the window and belching. The smell of cow poo did not help either. But at least she had finally gotten her emotions under control and no longer had the urge to cry, oh and she would have to thank Lurie deeply for being able to get rid of the redness around her eyes. Victoria’s maid was perhaps too smart to be her maid, and Victoria was beginning to think she should have become a nurse.

       The ride was all right, Caption Kenlyon seemed to notice Victoria would rather not talk and seemed quite content himself with keeping his lips shut and staring out the window. Or perhaps he was just too busy being that pompous prick Victoria suspected he kept hidden under that cool exterior.

       He was charming, Victoria was already pretty sure of that. But she could not help but wonder what else his cold exterior withheld from her knowledge. How could she even bear to give this man an heir, let alone let him touch her intimately if she did not even know what he was really like! Oh the horror, if she actually gave him an heir only to later find out he’d switched sides to fight for the French instead of the British. Not only would that damage her mind, she would be declared a traitor in Great Britain as well, for marrying a traitor and bearing them a child that like it’s father and mother, be branded a traitor.   

       The agony if that were to happen washed over Victoria like a flood as the carriage suddenly halted and she went flying into the seat across from her. Landing directly in Caption Kenlyon’s surprisingly ready arms, for a man who had seemed as if he had not even been paying any attention to her, Caption Kenlyon was quick. And Victoria must say, she was glad she had landed in his arms and not the wooden wall of the French carriage. That would have been horrible, she could not imagine the pain from that nor the large bump she would have on her head!  

       Placing her own hands on his broad, steady and hard chest Victoria tried to straighten herself out as he held onto the tops of her arm and the carriage began to stop lurching, and instead seemed to be sinking.

       Shakily, she moved her hands from his warm chest with the wide shoulders and mounds of muscle upon muscle to the seat he sat on, sliding herself off of the position she was in on his lap and sitting on the seat beside him.

       Victoria waited until her breathing was normal and her hands no longer shook before talking to the man who was now her husband.

       “So sorry Caption Kenlyon,” Victoria apologized as her stomach seemed to fall back into the pit of her stomach. And that didn’t feel too good Victoria realised as she began to taste the sourness of bile in the back of her throat. Dear god, she really was going to puke!

       Without waiting to hear his reply, she opened the carriage door and jumped out into the mud she now realised had gotten the carriage stuck. But Victoria could not think about that now, pulling her boots out of the mud she walked to the side of the road where grass licked the mud and used a tree for support as she let her stomach do what it had wanted to do for a while now.

       “What happened?” Victoria heard Caption Kenlyon’s voice as he too jumped out of the carriage and into the mud behind her. Wiping the edges of her mouth with a leaf, Victoria turned around to see him looking at the wheels which were about three inches into the mud already.