Chapter 4

I sat down. The contents of my bag had been sorted away and I sat on the white bedspread and looked at the large room around me. I had a feeling that I would be staying there for awhile. 

"Hello? Emrin?" I could hear a twenty-something male voice call from downstairs. 

"It's Aaron, idiot." A similar but younger voice commented sarcastically. 

I walked down to the stairway, careful not to hit my head on the rafters and cautiously made my way to the ground floor, two stories below where two brothers sat in the kitchen. 

"Well, you're Rhian's girl?" The older one said. They both had almost white hair and brown eyes. One looked about 23 and the other looked 18.

"Um, I don't think-" 

"He's trying to ask if you're from Balboa. I'm Kain. This is Bryan." he made eye contact with me, and his tone wiped the smile off of his brother's face. 

"Aaron." I said. "Thank you for letting me stay here."

"No problem!" Bryan said, "It's kinda our fault that the California people think you're dead."

"What? What do you mean?"

"He didn't mean that. We're not supposed to talk about it. Sorry. But feel welcome while you're here! The whole.. attic space is yours. And you can go pretty much whereever. I think there's library somwhere or something."

"You know what, you guys seem really nice and everything, but I'm not here to catch up on my Percy Jackson. I'm here to find out what happened so I can go back home." 

"Dude, we just have to do what Rhian said for now, we don't really know all about this, or what he told you, or what we are supposed to do." Bryan said, he tone becoming more serious. "Some of us... really messed up, and we are trying to figure this all out. We are trying to fix this- that's why Rhian is in Italy. But right now, you should just stay here, and keep a low profile."

I retorted angrily, "No! That is not okay, I didn't do anything! I didn't mess up and I need to keep my grades up and go to school and babysit more and get more money so that I can go to colledge. I'm not supossed to take a break and hang out in your attic while you guys sort out what youdid wrong. Before, I thought that I was going to have to deal with all of you, and get you to talk: to tell me what the hell happened that night. I thought that Rhian would be scared too and I would have to pick up the peices, but it turns out, that it was just a bunch of colledge boys screwing around with my life. So you two are going to forget the fact that Rhian dumped me on you, and tell me what you did wrong so that I can go home."

THey paused. I looked at them, in the eye, lounging on their big brown couch behind the TV. 

"What did Rhian tell you?" Kain asked softly. 

"He told me that-"

"You're wrong." Bryan said. "You did do something. You deffinitly did something. And you are in this just as much as we are."

Quietly, I managed to adress Kain. "Then I want the full story."

Kaine looked at me, his brown eyes burning into my blue ones, and as intence as it was, and as angry, ashamed, sad and confused as I was, I couldn't help noticing how hot he was, as he barely breathed out, "It's barely begun."

-♥ʑ