••• Thirteen •••

One week passes bye. I spend my days with Emily and Oliver, my evenings with the family, and my nights or even the whole night a Nixon's. Some days I visit his office, always kept in his office as the workers there, I learned, help keep their pack lands, finances, and basically run it like a city as Nixon overlooks and sees to treaties with other shifter packs.

Tomorrow morning is Christmas Day, where I sit around the tree with the family and open presents as another Christmas will pass bye. And then, this Saturday, I meet the group that will judge me like there's no tomorrow.
Adam's funeral was this past week on Tuesday, Taylor refusing to go as some of her friends age her odd looks. Buried in the cemetery, I watched from afar, wrapped in Nixon's arms as the cold only turned colder.

And here I am, staring up at the dark ceiling, the moonlight streaming in, the massive house silent, and an arm draped over my stomach giving me warmth as I lay wide awake through the night.

Reaching up a hand, I scratch my head and look to the side, Nixon's face buried in the pillow as his hair falls over his face. I lace my fingers through his locks, brushing them aside as another thin layer of snow falls. I'd helped him put up the only decoration in his house two days ago, a tall Christmas tree with modern glass ordainments and placed in the entrance. The tree gives me hope that one day this house may have a homy feel.

Shifting portion, I turn to face Nixon, just watching him as I can't sleep. A soft glow appears, my hands reaching forward to answer the call. "Hello?"

"Where are you?" Lily asks, her voice soft as she yawns.

I groan, running a hand over my face as a I hear Nixon turn a bit in his sleep. "I told you this evening."

His eyes peel open to reveal me on the phone as I try to keep my voice down. As he sees that I'm talking with Taylor, he rolls his eyes, wrapping his arm tightly around me as he sits up, pulling me into his chest. "I'm with Emily. We went over this already-

"Okay, okay, Lily, I know. I just needed to know you were still there."

"What do you mean?" I question as Nixon runs ghost fingers across my collarbones. "Taylor?"

"You're just never home anymore, Lily, that's what I mean. I just needed to know you would pick up for me."

Guilt.

"I'll be back in the morning," I explain and only hear the line go down.

Nixon gives a soft groan, pulling me down upon him as he goes back to his pillow. "Don't worry," he whispers in my ear as I take in a deep breath and let it out. "Here."

Nixon gets out of the bed, my eyes glued to his back muscles as they're hidden under that white shirt. He heads into the closet, shutting the door softly behind him as I try and peek through the darkness to see what he's doing.

Fiddling with my thumbs, I wait for Nixon as I hear him shuffling through the room. As he comes back, I keep my eyes glued to his midnight blue pair, becoming darker every second. I've grown to know what that color means. And I know those chills aren't from the cold.

"Here."

"No, you've done so much for me already," I explain, seeing Nixon try and hand me a small and black box. "Nixon, you've done so much already."
I'm pushed back against the headboard, Nixon between my legs as the atmosphere tenses. "Lily, never reject a gift from me."

I don't even try to defy him as those eyes become icy blue.

The box opens to reveal a simple ring, dark sapphire gems embedded into a silver ring.

"You should have, Nixon, you really-

I'm shut up with a kiss as the ring slides onto my ring finger. "It's a promise, one that means I will never leave you or forget you. One that lets me know you are mine," he whispers against my neck, shivers running through my body as I feel him bite down on my neck.