Chapter 9

"Megan."

I froze. The number had been a private one and whilst I wouldn't usually answer any number I didn't recognise, I was caught off guard nestled in the warm bosom of my home enjoying my perfect day and had clicked the accept button without thinking.

"Megan, it's Harper."

I sat up immediately, reaching for the remote and hitting the pause button. Russell Crowe, glorious in full gladiator gear, stopped mid-swing of his sword, spraying blood up onto the screen, his face contorted with a fierce battle cry.

"What do you want?" I could barely squeak out a whisper.

"Can I see you?"

My stomach lurched and I squeezed my thighs together instinctively.

"You've got to be kidding me?"

"Look, I know it's been a few days...." he began but I cut him off, suddenly furious that he had dared to call me.

"What? You leave me by the roadside, with barely a goodbye and then you call up a week later and expect me to agree to see you?"

A moment of silence on the line and I felt certain his eyes were black as he gripped the phone in his hand, anger flowing like blood into the receiver. I heard him exhale, as if he were counting to ten and taking a deep, considered breath before working out what to say next.

"I'm sorry."

"You're sorry? Is that it?"

"Isn't that what people would usually say in this type of situation?" He sounded genuinely confused but I refused to be drawn in by his innocent puppy-dog act.

"Only if they mean it," I snapped.

"I do. Really I do."

"Tell me," I said, eyes narrowing. "Is this what you usually do? Fool a girl into thinking you actually give a shit, do the whole smouldering, sexy routine and pretend you think she's something special, then you fuck her and walk away like it's nothing?"

"If that was my intention, then why would I bother calling you now?"

"I don't know, maybe you're bored? At a loose end and thought you'd call up that married woman who was stupid enough to fall for your bullshit last time?"

"Wow. You're really convinced that I did a number on you, huh?" he said, the amusement in his voice irritating the fuck out of me.

"I know you did a number on me!" I snarled. "And what's worse is that I was stupid and naive enough to let you. Well, you know what, enough! I'm done with this. I'm too old to play fucking mind games, Harper. Go play with someone else."

"Why would I want to do that? Playing with you is too addictive. And fun. A lot of fun." His voice softened and I saw images of his face close to mine, his mouth upon my mouth and hand curled tight into my hair as he rocked against me. Closing my eyes, I gritted my teeth and took a deep breath.

"Stop, okay? Just stop. I don't want to do this so don't contact me again."

I clicked the end call button and tossed the phone onto the sofa, placing a hand over my chest in an attempt to still my thumping heart that was beating so hard that I could hear it hammering against my chest, like some primal drum beat.

Almost immediately the phone rang again.

"No," I moaned but I picked it up anyway.

"Same old Megan. You know I'm starting to think you were only masquerading as an angel, because you lie more than any devil I know. It's a good job I can see beyond the Devil's lies because if I didn't, you'd have me completely convinced. You're good, I'll give you that," he chuckled down the line.