Chapter 6: Dance

Just before the group dance event began, Neste walked down the barn to Llawen's stall, trying to convince herself it was just another practice day. Her tumbling stomach knew better. She worried about the details of the dance until the routine muddled in her head and she panicked, thinking she'd forget the whole thing. Then she entered Llawen's stall.

The mare tossed her head and snuffled in Neste's pocket for a molasses treat. Neste stroked the silky, gray neck and her confidence in Llawen banished doubts from her head.

Isabella led the mare from the stall and Neste followed them out to the yard. Adam stood rigid, staring at the sky and clutching Mallt's rein. Hoel leaned against Lleu and watched Adam, his lip curled in disgust. The other two riders in their group followed Neste out of the barn.

In the sky, the first group dance responded to the band's fanfare and swooped into their opening. Neste heard the music but refused to look up. It would only make her nervous. "Adam, don't watch," she advised. He ignored her. She tried to infuse more assurance into her words than she felt. "Be confident," she told him anyway. "You're ready."

The music stopped, signaling their turn. She put her foot in the stirrup and swung up into the saddle.

Hoel nodded to his riders, competition face in place. Fierce and focused, he led them toward the takeoff. As they'd practiced a thousand times, the five of them soared off the cliff as one unit and climbed to the correct altitude.

Neste's hands held the rein loosely; Llawen knew what to do. The powerful wings beat strongly. Below, the crowd cheered. Neste tuned them out, concentrating on the mare's ears. The music started and she guided Llawen into the opening sequence, gliding through the sky. The flight pattern unfolded as planned, the five horses all executing their moves perfectly. Neste couldn't relax yet. Not with the Humminghorse part coming up.

She placed Llawen in position and tried to breathe normally. The sorrel and bay swept into position above each of Neste's shoulders, just far enough so that Llawen's wings wouldn't tangle with their feet. "Oh, Rhiannon, help Adam," Neste muttered. Her eyes fastened on Mallt as the horse missed a beat. She flew next to the sorrel rather than above him. A few jerky wingstrokes brought her up, but not far enough. Neste forced herself to look forward as Mallt overcorrected and flew directly over Llawen. Neste couldn't see the mare now that Mallt hung above and behind her, but she could see the bay's legs as the horse and rider held position. The sorrel shied outward, but his rider corrected immediately. Mallt's shadow lurched toward the sorrel, and Neste felt the wind from her wings. She looked over her shoulder to check Mallt's height. To her horror, Mallt's front hoof kicked inches from her head.

Clutching Llawen's rein, Neste crouched along the mare's neck. With Neste out of her usual position, Llawen broke out of her hover. She lurched upward, and Neste tried to correct her, swinging her to the left away from Mallt. Mallt followed. Neste flattened herself as much as possible, but Mallt's wing stroked her back. On the next upstroke, Llawen's right wing caught Mallt's left. The horses leaned away, but the wings tangled. Neste frantically dodged Mallt's hooves. Llawen tossed her head back, the whites of her eyes showing panic. Any hope of saving the routine vanished. Now she had to save her horse.

"Hah, Llawen!" Neste shouted, and kicked the mare into forward speed.

Too late. Mallt dipped low, her hoof striking Llawen's rump just behind the saddle. Neste felt a glancing blow along her back as the mare above her pulled up her legs. Llawen twisted to see what attacked her, and Neste could only hang on as Mallt dropped beside her.

Adam's eyes were as wide as Llawen's, and his face white.

"Pull her away!" Neste yelled at him. Then she realized he'd dropped the rein. He had no control of Mallt.